THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    CDC Study Shows No Health Risk Associated with Traditional Ammunition

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CDC Study Shows No Health Risk Associated with Traditional Ammunition
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In response to Skinner's thread....
Don

November 6, 2008
Special Edition

CDC Study Shows No Health Risk
Associated with Traditional Ammunition

A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study on human lead levels of hunters in North Dakota has confirmed what hunters throughout the world have known for hundreds of years, that consuming game harvested with traditional ammunition poses absolutely no health risk to people, including children, and that the call to ban lead ammunition was and remains a scare tactic being pushed by anti-hunting groups to forward their political agenda.

Today, additional information became available about the CDC study, originally released yesterday, that is important to disseminate to hunters, their families and the general public about the total and complete lack of any evidence of a human health risk from consuming game harvested using traditional ammunition. For instance, in the study the average lead level of the hunters tested was lower than that of the average American.

In the CDC's study, children's lead levels had a mean of just 0.88 micrograms per deciliter, which is less than half the national average for children and an infinitesimally small fraction of the level that the CDC considers to be of concern for children (10 micrograms per deciliter). Yet, despite the total and complete lack of any evidence from this study of the existence of a human health risk, the Department of Health nevertheless urges that children under 6 and pregnant women not eat venison harvested using traditional ammunition. The North Dakota Department of Health's recommendation is based on a "zero tolerance" approach to the issue of blood lead levels that is not supported by science or the CDC's guidelines.

To further put in perspective the claims concerning the safety of game harvested using traditional ammunition, consider this statement from the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) -- a state agency that has conducted an extensive panel of blood-lead testing for more than 15 years: "IDPH maintains that if lead in venison were a serious health risk, it would likely have surfaced within extensive blood-lead testing since 1992 with 500,000 youth under 6 and 25,000 adults having been screened." It has not.

Read the NSSF press release.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My fear is that under Obama leadership the National CDC could very well cook the books and the information well be use as a excuse to ban all lead based ammo.

I belive that the lead found in donated meat is because the processers do not take the time to properly trim and just start throwing chunks into the grinder.

I do all own.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
My fear is that under Obama leadership the National CDC could very well cook the books and the information well be use as a excuse to ban all lead based ammo.

I belive that the lead found in donated meat is because the processers do not take the time to properly trim and just start throwing chunks into the grinder.

I do all own.

Agree on all points..

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing a Lead Bullet Kills, is Game and Varmints with a well placed shot.

All the rest is Ultra-Radical Extreme-Leftist bsflag

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Anyone know where a link to the actual CDC report exists? Did several searches across the CDC site and came up empty. I'd like to update a wikipedia page that refers to the Iowa food bank issue.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
Anyone know where a link to the actual CDC report exists? Did several searches across the CDC site and came up empty. I'd like to update a wikipedia page that refers to the Iowa food bank issue.

The link to the CDC report. It's in PDF format.

http://www.nssf.org/share/PDF/ND_report.pdf

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:

The link to the CDC report. It's in PDF format.

http://www.nssf.org/share/PDF/ND_report.pdf

Thanks!!

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Washington State is in the middle of trying to "reduce" lead use in the state. While their claim is this is not a lead ban, they admit if use does not drop (they won't say how much) their next course of action is regulation (i.e. a ban).

The animal rights folks are supporting lead bans as are most of the professional bleeding heart organizations.

If we are not VERY vocal and let it be known thie is BS we will be railroaded into using the expensive non-lead alternatives - or giving up our rights.

Posts: 14 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fully agree that "the issue" (if there is one) is one of sloppy or greedy processors who get paid by the food bank folks to produce an expected yeld per animal by which they get paid. It's a tempting proposition to throw anything in the grinder while holding back some prime cuts. It's not like the end users are going to know any different or complain. I read the ND health dept. reccomended protocol for game processors yesterday and most of it centered on trimming and cleaning the grinder. Basicly it was things I'd do myself ANYTIME, which causes me even more suspecion of the processors! Never forget this whole thing originated from a greenie who claims bullets are a threat to scavengers (particularly condors) and was looking for something to back his claim and an excuse to ban lead bullets. It had nothing to do with people until he xrayed some donated burger. Burger assumedly coming from one of the afroementioned food bank processors! I'm glad some hard scientific evidence is coming out to refute the hysteria. Let's hope it's not too little too late. After all, we've lost much over the years due to unfounded emotional reactions even in spite of hard facts to the contrary. Keep your fingers crossed!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give em a chance and they will ban fishing too on the grounds of "mercury contamination". The problem is that when fish are tested they grind up the entire fish and then sample. If they would just test the filets that are consumed and not the liver too the merc levels would be trivial.
I bet if I ground up an entire deer and tested after shooting I'd find lead too. We smart folks cut out the bloodshot meat and send it to Mcdonalds in Washington DC.

I like copper bullets--no lead involved!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Give em a chance and they will ban fishing too on the grounds of "mercury contamination". The problem is that when fish are tested they grind up the entire fish and then sample. If they would just test the filets that are consumed and not the liver too the merc levels would be trivial.
I bet if I ground up an entire deer and tested after shooting I'd find lead too. We smart folks cut out the bloodshot meat and send it to Mcdonalds in Washington DC.

I like copper bullets--no lead involved!

thumb