New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Fusion Ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a chance to shoot a few of Federal's new 30-06 150 gr Fusion ammo yesterday.

I got nice 1" groups, and the velocity was right on at 2876 with a published velocity of 2900, so that was very close.

I this touted to be "the" Deer bullet for release this fall.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, where can I read some more info on this bullet??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry
Yep if what I've read on it so far is the Gospel it sounds like a winner for sure!

Mauser96
Try a google search on it. (Federal Fusion Ammo)

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.fusionammo.com

They are really hyping this bullet as the answer for the "high-tech" hunter.

I thought the marketing was kinda cheesy - - - but that doesn't affect whether it is a great bullet or not.

Question, they are marketing this a the ULTIMATE DEER bullet.

But if this bullet lives up to it's hype, I can't see why a 180 gr in the 30.06 wouldn't make an excellent moose/elk load.

Thoughts???

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
There was a writeup on it in one of the rags, and it is a really innovative bullet. No jacket, all electroplated, and pre-scored expansion joints. Not a bad concept, should be a good bullet, if you like lead. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it might be a OK deal, if it shoots and performs well at a decent price. If it is too high priced, I will stick with one of the premium loadings

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Dutch, do you remember which magazine?

Ninety percent weight retention from an electroplated bullet? Interesting... especially if they're accurate.

If they don't jack the prices out of reach and make them available to handloaders, I'll try some.

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Russ, heck if I remember, guns and ammo, maybe? I'll run over to Barnes and Noble and see if I can find it tonight.... Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is also a small mention about it in the latest NRA American Hunter in the section about "new" things for 2005.

Apparently the bullet is made like the Speer Gold Dot bullets and the Remington Plated Hollow Points(PLHPs). It is fairly easy to get a Lead core formed so it is straight and balanced. Then the jacket is "Plated Onto" the Lead, so the jacket just can't separate.

The 22cal 50gr Rem PLHP is one of my favorite inexpensive bullets. It is amazingly accurate for the cost and works great on Varmints.

A retired Winchester Rep I know has used the 80gr 0.243" Rem PLHP on his Mule Deer hunts for longer than I've known him and has a solid string of 1-shot kills in his 6mmRem M70.

So, the design concept is well tested and is also found in the Remington Ultra Core-Lokt.

The only way a bullet of that design can loose weight is if the mouth expands enough so a thin segment is torn loose during the transition through the Game.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russel,
The artical I read was in the last issue of Rifleshooter magazine. The report indicated the price would be about the same as regular bullets.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ho hum.

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep the claim is it is to replace their low price line Hi-Shok's. This bullet designs been around a long time. I shot the Speer .44 mag metalic silhoutte bullets in the late 80's or early 90's they were the 1st of this type I think.
Saw an article where Boddington potted an Elk with it in a 06 with 180 Fusion if memory serves. Seemed to like it fine.

Heres the list:-
.243 win.; 95 gr
.270 win.; 130, 150 gr
7mm Rem mag; 150, 175 gr
7mm Wsm; 150 gr
30-30 win; 150, 170 gr
.308 win; 150, 165, 180 gr
same for 06, .300 win mag
.300wsm; 165, 180 gr
45-70; 300gr
Thats the starting lineup more to come later so they said.
Far as I can see it looks like they figure it will take bigger game to with the hvy bullets just fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smallfry:
Ho hum.

What is the point of your post?? You sound bored. Why not another hiatus?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Boddington article I mentioned in case you want to check it out was from the Guns&Ammo Feb 05 edition. Its the best info I've seen on this bullet so far.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russell E. Taylor:
Dutch, do you remember which magazine?

Ninety percent weight retention from an electroplated bullet? Interesting... especially if they're accurate.

If they don't jack the prices out of reach and make them available to handloaders, I'll try some.

Russ

The article is on pg.28 of March/April RifleShooter.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
We'll see if it lasts any longer than the Deep-Shok did. Now, there was a bullet.

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. The deep-shok was a kick-arse bullet. too bad they discontinued it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Despite the compelling add campaign there, I can't say I'm particularly convinced that this bullet will do anything the existing middle-of-the-road bullets (Hornady Interlock, Winchester Super-X, etc) do substantially better. There are an awful lot of deer out there who aren't any less dead because someone used the old standards... It just seems to me that deer aren't particularly difficult to kill and this bullet is a solution to a problem nobody has. It's certainly not the only bullet to have high weight retention. Nor is it the only one capable of .75" groups (not that all of the manufacturers don't claim that.) Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a thinly-veiled attempt to sell hunters one more thing we don't need/already have...

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I think I'll stick w/ NBTs. This bullet is going to be just like any other middle of the road bullet out.

Why not just buy Sierra GKs, Hdy ILs, or Speer Hot Cores and get time proven performance.

Not saying it will be a bad bullet, just saying advertising hype is all that makes it sound so good.

Just look at Sierra's advertisement claim that their GKSP holds up better than Hdy Interbond, Nosler Accubond, and others. Hogwash.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'll stick with my remington core lokts for a good deer bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, this ammo is supposed to be competitively priced to Winchester Super x, Rem Core-locks, etc.

IF that is the case....why not give it a go?

The age old complaint of Bullet/Jacket seperation is not possible with this bullet. So, although I'm a firm believer in the cup and core bullets FOR DEER (and I reload) I'd still try a box of these if the price is reasonable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Prices at Sportsmans Warehouse are $12.50 for the 30-30 and $15.50 for the rest of the non-magnums that are available at this time which are 30-06, .270win and 308win...the 300WM is $21.50.
The 150gr 30-06 ammo shoots excellent in a friends UltraComp. That's 5 shots at 100yds...
http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product/federal/feddesc/fedecenterfire.htm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote