New
Find
Notify
Tools

Superior Ammunition
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I dont reload, but a friend suggested a company called Superior Ammunition. Does anyone have experience with them?

Thanks

Posts: 29 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used them before and they provided excellent service.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Their booth was next to mine in Dallas this year. Very nice people and they have an excellent reputation for reloading custom ammo.

If I didn't reload, I would use them.

I have seen "Superior Ammunition" boxes in a few camps in Africa, these were the ph's ammo, not the clients.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have used them -- good folks from my perspective.

I'm sure you have seen the website -- Superior Ammo.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice and knowledgeable people to work with. They have worked up some really good loads for me

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alot of Zim PH's order their ammo from them. I have a whole batch for my .458 Lott. Good ammo.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with Superior. They have a good selection of bullet choices, cartridge choices, etc., and they are willing to work with you. Plus, as if that wasn't enough, they are friendly.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do reload but on a couple of occasions when I was stumped I had Larry at Superior work up loads. Excellent service and very knowledgeable. I recommend him to clients.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate to have shared a gun range with those guys. That is until they built their own private shooting range. I learned a lot about reloading from them and they have earned my respect.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Stalker66

I have used Superior Ammunition to reload for me for many years, they are very good. I have had no problems.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Highly recommended. I use Superior almost exclusively. Larry Barnet is a genius at developing loads, and his consistency is amazing.

Bob Boatman

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just ordered some 300wm, 180 gr Accubond ammo in a sample pack - 5 different loads, 4 rounds of each combination(20 rounds total). I don't reload yet, but thought this was the next best thing. I should be getting them next week and will test them out that following weekend and try to post the results. I'll be shooting an HS Precision sporter rifle. I've gotten decent accuracy with facory ammo, but can't wait to see what handloads can do.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
How expensive is their ammo when compared with premium factory ammo and Nitro Express rounds?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry is "daaman"

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bulldog563:
How expensive is their ammo when compared with premium factory ammo and Nitro Express rounds?

It varies quite a bit by chambering and bullet selected. I have a price list that is a few months out of date -- I can send you some examples if you tell me what you are looking at or you could email them for a full list.

It is not cheap, but then neither is the factory ammo for some of the things I shoot.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry is a class act and he does great work. What more can you say?

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Larry and Annie Barnett...good people making a good product.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The ammo was on my doorstep when I got home from work the other day. I compared it with factory rounds and the first thing I notice is the bullets are definately seated out further in the cases. 5 different loads designated with marker on the bottom of each round. I am planning on shooting them this weekend. More to come...

posted Hide Post
Ammo shot nicely. Three of the 5 loads were at 1" center to center. 2 were at about 2" or more center to center. The first two group were the larger groups. I thought I was just not shooting very good until I got into the last three 1" inch groups. All groups were 4 shots. The gun and ammo may have been capable of better, the limiting factor may have been me. I was very happy and noticed a high level of consistency across all groups. I may talk to Superior to see if they can fine tune the load based on what groups shot well. Definately thumbs up ammo.

posted Hide Post
After talking with Superior, the groups ended up being no coincidence. 2 of the 3 best groups were the same powder according to Larry, but just varied by a half grain of powder. The 2 worse groups were also the same powder. Larry is going to work with the two powders that shot the best and alter the amount of powder for each. We will drop the powder that didn't perform with my rifle. He is sending me this new sample pack and we will see if we can improve on the best groups from the first sample pack.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad something like that is around...

There are good people in So Dakota!

on the other hand, I am so glad I handload....

after looking at their website, I am glad I can do all of that in my garage instead of having to rely on the Postal service and someone else....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered some .240 grain North Forks for my .340 Weatherby and I was very happy with the loads and service. Larry is not cheap but he is reliable. Where in Upstate NY are you from? I am from NewHartford and am currently working in MT

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
New Hartford, I know where that is. I live in Saratoga Springs, about 1 1/2 from Utica.

Posts: 29 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just to follow up on the results of the second sample pack. I shot yesterday and sure enough we did improve on the results of the first sample pack. I was able to shoot 3 near half inch groups. These three groups had 3 bullets in one ragged hole and 1 just outside of it. It is absolutely amazing how much better these loads shoot than factory ammo. I can now say I actually shoot better than I thought I could before.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear that Superior Ammo is working out well for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Their ammo has regulated perfectly in my 3 double rifles.
In fact their 9,3x74R ammo with Woodleigh Softs and Solids shoots almost one inch at 100 yards for 4 shots, 2 right, 2 left [fired 1R,1L-1R,1L of course.]

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote