Find
Notify
Tools

Cheese Head Deer in 2003 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Packer Fan
I'm thinking about a whitetail trip up around Hayward this year and was wondering what the CWD situation was up there. I was there three seasons ago and had a great time. Any info like deer forecasts,CWD, good spots, private access...etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks
Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Elmo

CWD get more media than you could believe. The outlook for animals should be great as we are having a mild winter. Here in the Frozen Tundra in Green Bay we have not had any real snowfall. Good for the animals to eat. If you want up to date info the Wisconsin DNR web site http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/ They have the up to date info. Hayward is far away from the hotzone of CWD. My brother and uncles did well up in the Hayward area with a real nice 8 pointer. I thought it should have had more points with the mass it had. Hope to see ya here!! [Big Grin]

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
It will tickle you Elmo [Big Grin] to find out that CWD while nothing to dismiss, is not a real serious problem anywhere in Wisconsin. The hype we had over lyme disease, bovine tuberculosis, and CWD was more than anything used to extort money by a few out of the citizenry to research these diseases. The amount of "panic" one can cause directly relates to the amount of grant given to do the research.

Does this mean we should dismiss or take CWD lightly? No, but the sky is not falling either.
I live 20 minutes west of Green Bay in the boonies for the most part and we had a good season here and from the spottings of deer after the season say we should have another in 03.

A friend just returned from Hayward and the snow is almost non-existant with plenty of browse for the whitetail. He scouted there and at Mellen and reports are good.-----------Chainsaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chainsaw

Where are you at? Seymour? Pulaski? I am right by the airport in Green Bay.

What do you think is going to happen if they raise the license fees? I spoke today to the president of the Great Lakes Sport Fisherman and he had figures that the tickets violations have been down because of all the time taken on the CWD. He has been waiting to get data from 7 months ago for the yellow perch problem on the bay. From what I see locally it isn't a major problem vs the national people think we are crawling with CWD [Frown] . Colorado doesn't seem to get anywhere the press Wisconsin is getting. Since you are local what do you think?

I think Wisconsin herd is a great place to hunt.

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies guys
I had a lot fun in the snow three years ago in temps from a low of 5 to a high of 22 degrees. I was hunting in the Cheuwamagon (Spelling is hard in Wisconin) National Forest by myself for 4 days. Saw several does and a few young bucks but didn't see a buck that I wanted. I've shot several blacktail and two mulies, but I've never shot a whitetail.

Do you guys hunt farmland or do you hunt the Great North Woods?

I sure liked all the friendly folks up in that area. I never saw an entire town full of people, dressed up in blaze orange before!!!

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Daryl Douthat>
posted
Especially appreciated the remark that the hype is just to get grant money. It's the same thing with cancer and stuff like that. Just a bunch of alarmists trying to grant money.

<Chainsaw>
posted
Hcliff, Sent you an email.

Daryl, I would bet if one would follow the money on most topics/issues, we would see why things are the way they are.

<Daryl Douthat>
posted
chainsaw:

I assume you are not a scientist in view of your simplistic view of what research is funded. It just doesn't work that way. In day to day life, people bullshit each other constantly(witness these forums). Obtaining funding by bs-ing the scientific community about the importance of a problem just isn't a very fruitful way to make a living. Furthermore, cwd is a huge potential and actual problem. Ignore it and watch whitetail hunting disappear. If we don't do the research to understand it, we are all idiots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Elmo

I hunt in the middle of the state by Wausau. It is in a farmland area with bigger patches of woods. Where I go the owner has 140 acres of wooded land adjacant to a greater wooded area on one side and farmland on the other. The other place I hunt is in the County forest in Oconto county. My uncles and brothers hunt up by Hayward in a small town called Winter. They have got some big animals there but are not as plentiful as where I hunt.

Good luck in all your hunting

Hcliff