Find
Notify
Tools

CO elk hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted
So lets say this bull walks by at 15 yards... do you shoot? Its in the timber and Ray Aktkinson isn't backing you up with a 338.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I would have passed and let someone like me have a chance at him! hillbilly

Nice elk, but is that all you can type? No story?! archer

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I shoot.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Depends.
If I'm 4 1/2 miles back in on foot on a meat bull hunt and I'm thinking already of turning around cuz I don't want to pack one that far then I'd pass. If I was looking for a bigger bull I'd pass, I've already been lucky enough to have killed one bigger.
Very nice bull though and anyone that wants a good bull should take it unless you've drawn a difficult tag and the potential to shoot a bigger one exists.
Tough decision though, he is a very nice bull but won't score well if you are looking for a scoring bull.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I might just soil my trousers if I saw that at 15 yards. That would be my first inclination.

1. Soil trousers.
2. Shoot.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
They can be intimidating at 15 yards, but that is a hell of a bull. I'd shoot without hesitation.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
As long as Snellstrom's there to help me pack him 4.5 miles, I'd shoot!

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Depends.
If I was looking for a bigger bull I'd pass, I've already been lucky enough to have killed one bigger.
Very nice bull though and anyone that wants a good bull should take it unless you've drawn a difficult tag and the potential to shoot a bigger one exists.
Tough decision though, he is a very nice bull but won't score well if you are looking for a scoring bull.

Can I start hunting with you and kill all the poor scoreing 365 class bulls you pass up?

Here's another look. Think you'd still pass?

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah right.... pass my butt.... The question should be if you can hold the rifle steady enough for a shot if that monster passes you at 15 yards!

Nice bull and congrats.

posted Hide Post
Nice Bull clap

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dont know if you call them the same thing up there but, hes lacking a little in the trey tines. the royal is pretty big tho!

I certainly wouldnt pass him up

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
That bull would have a 35 caliber hole leaking out both sides if he walked in front of me! Well the hole on the off side might be bigger.

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, he may not go B&C but he goes S&C (squeeze and clean) any ole day.

Nice.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kill him with out a second thought, Then after hits the ground say to my self. Crap it's 4.5 miles to the truck! What the heck was I thinking? killpc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Bull. Take a bull like that anytime/ anywhere it is legal. You have the rest of your life to get over packing him out.

Posts: 121 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
BOOM, cycle the bolt just in case, quarter and pack. No second thought, unless I had an antlerless tag Roll Eyes.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Sorry no boom and cycle... it was Boom, wait for the smoke to clear. Smiler Oh and it was only 14 yards, paced it off when we went back for the meat.

I love how easy the elk hunting is in Colorado. Wink

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Ivan, are you going to fill us in on all of the details? Please? Smiler

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I would, but my lack of experience in elk hunting would just show through.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:

A lot of hunting has a little bit to do with luck and being in the right place at the right time. Great bull and I hope I'm lucky enough to get one like him some day. Regardless we would still like to hear the story.

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:

A lot of hunting has a little bit to do with luck and being in the right place at the right time. Great bull and I hope I'm lucky enough to get one like him some day. Regardless we would still like to hear the story.

From what I hear... if yo live in Idaho you MAKE your own luck.