New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roosevelt, Blacktail, Whitetail
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm posting this for Member Mark Hampton, who recently returned from some successful hunts arranged by our own Wade Derby of Crosshair Consulting. I leave on a Woodland Caribou hunt in Newfoundland in 2 weeks also arranged by Wade.

....Just returned from hunting the Pacific Northwest and wanted to share the experience. I was fortunate enough to take a nice blacktail deer and Roosevelt elk in northern California, Humbolt County. Saw a lot of deer during the first day due to the ideal weather conditions. Two days after I punched my elk tag we spotted a really big 7x7. Oh well, that’s the breaks. After the hunt I headed to Oregon for Columbia whitetail. This unique sub-species of deer is only found in a couple of regions in Oregon. The first day yielded a dandy buck that I couldn’t pass up. The country was beautiful and the experience was gratifying. All these hunts were well-organized by Wade Derby of Cross Hair Consulting. Thanks Wade!

Roosevelt Elk

Columbia Blacktail

Whitetail

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice hunt Jon. That's a great blacktail. Eeker
Tell us about those pistols.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Roosevelt elk was taken with an H-S Precision in 270 WSM. Both deer were taken with an MOA in 260 Rem. The handguns are single-shots.

Best of Hunting,
Mark Hampton

Posts: 126 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies Mark, I look forward to the next one. Jon, thanks and good luck in Newfoundland!

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote