THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Got drawn in new mexico for elk unit 14 and mule deer unit 36 any advice?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got drawn in new mexico for elk unit 14 and mule deer unit 36 any advice?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got drawn in new mexico for elk unit 14 and mule deer unit 36. I looked up unit 14, it seems to be a smaller unit, with not a lot of information on it. And I heard unit 36 is great for elk but ok for mule deer. Any one have any advice or experiences they would like to share? Should I get a guide? I have been on one guided elk hunt in Unit 34 and hunted barbary sheep down south on our own, so not a crazy amount of experience but we hunt hard.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Excellent. You're about the luckiest guy I know!

I put in for all eight species and got only my second choice javelina hunt. I'm starting to wonder if the game and fish has it out for me. Smiler

I haven't spent much time in those units, so I can't offer much guidance. Good luck though!

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I looked at it wrong. Looks like they are both for unit 34. Maybe I'll try without a guide this time. Any tips are appreciated. Yes new mexico seems to be the only state that let's me hunt it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
34 is a great unit and made better with the INN OF THE mountain Gods just out your front door. Lots of elk. Enjoy and congrats on your draw. I hunted 36 twice and great chance for 330+ on elk. Good luck on your hunts.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How is the mule deer population there?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The INN is in Unit 36.
34 Is Cloudcrof, but still not that far
Lots of ELK.
Just go to Benson Ridge, and go North.
Tons of people, and Trails to get you away from them.
Been hunting that Unit my whole life.
Up high, you wont see many Deer, but if you do they are usually Big.
You have westside road right down from there, good deer, just drop a few thousand feet in any direction, and you will see deer

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. We are going mid November so hopefully the rut will still be in effect. I have read that when you spot some does stay with them cause a buck is not far behind. Hopefully we get lucky. This will be my first mule deer hunt. Should I grab a black bear tag for a chance encounter?