THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Montana Elk, Deer, & Antelope Results out

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Elk, Deer, & Antelope Results out
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys...out of boredom I checked the MT FWP website. Elk results are out. As of this time antelope have not drawn.

I guess I'm going 0 for 4 this year.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep me too. I put in for all the tags and so far all I have got is a antlerless deer... Out of 6 people in my family who put in for tags we have got 2 anterless deer tags..... This is the least tags we have EVER got.

Posts: 548 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just checked the FWP website and the Antelope results are now out.

I drew a 900 Archery Antelope.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drew an elk archery permit for the Breaks. dancing

Another of my buds out there is hunting opening week not far from there on a ranch......but the friend I'll be hunting with says the first week is too early, too hot, etc.......any thoughts from you guys that live there?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
drew a deer A but alas no antelope tag. did draw a deer B tag.

Posts: 97 | Location: maple valley, wash. | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
All I got was 700 Antelope...again Frowner

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Tale of woe!
Nope, I didn't get drawn for Antelope. I applied for a nonresident antelope license by mail, post marked May 30.
Mt. received the application on June 7. I received a rejection slip on JULY 19. My application was rejected because I used a personal check. Silly me, I didn't read all the small print on the application. All I read was the CHECK # blank line on the very bottom of the application. If they don't accept checks, why put a check # blank on the application?
It takes them 4+ weeks to find a mistake and return the application? I was of course advised that the deadline was June 1 so any errors cannot be corrected.
I was invited to purchase surplus or over the counter licenses starting Aug. 9. I don't think so.
I applied by mail this year because they screwed it up last year when I applied by internet. My buddy and I both applied on the net. We applied for bucks. Surprise, we both received our license in the mail. Hot dog, we get to go to Mt. for antelope! WRONG!
A very nice lady actually called me and asked questions about our plans for our upcoming doe antelope hunt in Mt. I said, Nope, we got drawn for bucks. Wrong, she says. You got drawn for does.
But, we applied for bucks. To bad, she says, it's to late to change it now. I advised her that I will not pay $1000 for plane fare to hunt does in Mt.
Can you tell that I am really disappointed in the Mt. Dept. of Game?
Our next years Antelope hunt will be in Wyoming.
Good luck to everyone who did get drawn. Big Grin

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Did anyone else notice that Montana jacked the price of a non-resident DOE antelope tag to $200? They must really not want to sell those tags.

Has anyone heard how many outfitter-sponsored combo licenses are still available? I understand that it's supply and demand and don't think there's anything wrong with charging non-residents more so residents pay less, but Montana FWP is pushing the envelop on pricing. And once you've gouged someone to the point where they stop coming, they're probably not coming back even if you drop the prices in the future. And what do I know, maybe that's what they really want....

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, MT already charges more than any state for res vs non-res tags as a multiple. Since I have good buds out there, it's like paying 1/10th the price of an outfitter for a big game combo......I've drawn 4 of the last 5 years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:

Another of my buds out there is hunting opening week not far from there on a ranch......but the friend I'll be hunting with says the first week is too early, too hot, etc.......any thoughts from you guys that live there?

I hunted the Breaks Archery on the South Side. Opening weekend. There were people everywhere and it was 85 degrees. I went home and went fishing for another week and a half before I went back out.

TJ...they take checks because I sent them a check for my party application and they were more than happy to cash it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MThuntr......thanks for that input.....that's exactly what I do not want......guess I'll look toward the end of the month.

You're in central MT.....anywhere near Dodson/Malta?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't know when the season opens/closes
but the prime week will 7 days prior
to sept 23rd.
sept's full moon is on the 23rd.
good luck post a photo

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:

You're in central MT.....anywhere near Dodson/Malta?

Lewistown...I have spent my share of nights in the Great Northern Hotel in Malta.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't like the check thing then apply on-line. I did for everything this year and it worked out very well, except that I only got drawn for one of the tags I put in for, second elk tag in the 400's.

You get a feed back before you submit your application that you can double check your application.

Yes, is more expencive relatively for non-residents to hunt here and that will change when hell freezes over. Prop 161 will make it easier for some to hunt here but will make it a lot tougher to run an outfitting business, which is the idea as I understand it. Most residents don't mind out-of-state hunters but generally don't like outfitters since they have leased up huge amounts of land in varoius parts of the state.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Well, they may take your check, but they will not take mine.
My "rejection letter" plainly says....
Your application has been eliminated from the drawing for the following reasons(s).

___X___Personal or company check.

My major complaint was the time (4+ weeks) for them to send the rejection letter.
I'll just spend my money in Wyoming next year. I'm sure that will break their hearts!
Wink

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Got drawn for a "B" tag in HD 590. Will pick up via the internet a couple more of the surplus "B" tags once they become available in Aug. and then I'll be set for meat for the freezer for the next year. Yeah, kind of a long way to go for a couple of does, BUT its a vacation for me besides hunting, get to visit and hunt with my friends in Billings. Hopefully have enough preference points now that I can get drawn for a "A" tag in 2011 and if I do get drawn, will be looking for a nice muley buck to hang it on.

As far as the check thing for payment, says right on the application its got to be a cashiers check, which is the route I've taken to pay for the tag drawing and haven't had an issue with that for the past 8-9 years now.

Yeah as a non-resident the MT deer tags as well as others are pretty pricey, BUT at least I see deer when hunting there, not like here in western WA, seeing a deer where I can legally pull the trigger on him would be a major accomplishment. Havene't seen a deer here in WA while actually hunting the past two years.

If my job and wife would let me, I'd move to MT yesterday!

Congrats on all who drew a MT tag this year.

Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote