THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Game Processing needed in Colorado Springs, CO

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game Processing needed in Colorado Springs, CO
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
Howdy All,
I just returned home last week from Iraq and I am taking off tomorrow for a deer hunt at a buddies in MO. I am stationed at Ft Carson, CO and need to find a good butcher in the area to process my deer - I will be bringing 3 home - hopefully. I Arrived at Carson last january and deployed a couple months laterso I didnt get a chance to find a goof meat packer. Normally I butcher my own game, but this time I am wanting to get a good amount of summer sausage and jerky made. I would like some venison breakfast sausage and pepperoni sticks also.

If anyone can reccomend a good meat processor that can handle it for me I would sure appreciate you letting me know.

Thanks.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Andy's Meat Market off of Platte. I've never used them but a guy at work does. He takes all of his deer there. There is another guy that does it in the Black Forrest area but can't remember his name. He has his business info at the Shootin Den off Filmore, the cards are on the front counter.

Good Luck and Welcome Back!

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Hi There M1 Tanker!
Glad to see you're back, from a ret mil. Andy's is a great place to take your meat for processing, but he does get a little high. You can call Farmer Jim's Feed in Falcon for assistance on finding that Black Forest processor. My daughter (owner) knows who it is and can give you the info needed. Tell her, her Dad told you to call!
sofa

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with Ted Baker. He has a nice shop on Peyton hwy just south of Peyton. He does it all! His number is 719 749-9450.

Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I will hopefully be paying one of them a visit in a few days.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M1Tanker,
i ets'd here in the springs, i have taken 1 bull elk to Andy's and it will be the last thing i ever take to him. Charged me for 225 pounds of meat on a bull elk 3 yr ago and when i weighed it at home, it was 1/2 that. Thats my 1 and only experience and i will never take anything there again.

Posts: 117 | Location: colorado springs, co. | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted by wtman: i ets'd here in the springs, i have taken 1 bull elk to Andy's and it will be the last thing i ever take to him. Charged me for 225 pounds of meat on a bull elk 3 yr ago and when i weighed it at home, it was 1/2 that. Thats my 1 and only experience and i will never take anything there again.

Every meat processor will charge you for more weight than you will take home packaged. Processors charge by the carcass weight which includes all the bone. You should loose no more than 25% after the animal is deboned if you lost 50% then there might have been a lot of trim if the meat was dirty or severely blood shot? If you had your questions you should have brought them up before you took the meat home, but what Andy's did is the norm sorry to say.

If you are going to make most of your animal into sausage you might even bring home more weight than you brought in. You will have an extra charge for the pork that the will mix with the game animal to make sausage. Had a 90 pound carcass weight pig made into Brats once and got 100 lbs of them when it was all done.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
When I get meat processed in Dallas I see them weigh the quarters -- that weight is what I get charged for, not what ends up in the packages. No problem for me but these are not elk.

M1T -- are you back back or just back for a while? Good to see that you are in one piece and getting to hunt.

Thanks to you and all of your troops for what they do.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote