New
Find
Notify
Tools

anniversary trip ideas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I meant to post this here instead of another part of the forum...I've got a couple of years to plan and save for a 10th wedding anniversary trip. My wife is not a hunter but I don't think she is opposed to a combination hunting/sightseeing trip as long as it is mostly sightseeing. I'm thinking about a trip to South America or Europe although I am certainly open to suggestions. The trip would be about 2 weeks and I am only looking to hunt for about 4 days or so.

Any ideas or recommendations from those who have been there and done that? Any thoughts on pricing, things to see, etc? If anyone wants to point me towards a particular resource or website I would appreciate that too. Keep in mind the majority of this trip will be sightseeing not hunting. Thanks for any help.

Since I brought up the subject, would anyone care to talk about an anniversary type trip that they have had?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yukon, take your pretty wife to New Zealand. My wife doesn't hunt but enjoyed our trip to Africa alot. I wanted to hunt Tahr in NZ & new she would not make that part of the trip, no vehicles in those mountains, so off we went to NZ for 10 days.
The N. island is alot like Hawaii, warm sandy beaches, palm forests, beautiful coastlines. The S. island is more like Europe, mountains & fjords, snow skiing & quaint little villages (w/ friendly pubs). Everyone we encountered treated us very well. English is spoken. Your dollar goes pretty far. The only real drawback is you have to drive on the left side of the road, but that's part of the adventure.
There are site seeing trips, hiking the glaciers, helicopter trips, lots of places to shop & eat. You would probably be there during Rugby season, try to catch a game. Oh yeah, the hunting was great & if you have some time the fishing is also exc. This is a good place to hunt for 3-5 days & then off to see the sites, visit the pubs, etc.
What to hunt? Red stag, Hym.Tahr & Chamois are probably the most sought after. There is also Fallow deer, whitetail deer & elk, unlimited varmints. You can hunt on your own w/o a guide but obviuosly you'll be more succesfull but spend more going w/ a local guide. There are several good NZ outfits & you can deal as there is little cost to the outfitter for the game animals shot. There are no seasons, no bag limits & no predetors or poisenous snakes. Look into it, I think you & your lovely would have a great time. [Big Grin]

[ 09-12-2003, 04:32: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote