THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Where to hunt in the West? (Trapped in So. Cal...)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to hunt in the West? (Trapped in So. Cal...)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
Well folks, I truly hope y'all don't run me out on a rail for asking this. First time poster here, fairly new to big game hunting (last year was my first year - didn't see a darn thing locally. Bagged a few hogs in Tex with a friend from a blind), but been hunting upland bird for quite a while.

I'm interested in big game (Elk, Deer for now) hunting and have pretty much come to the conclusion that hunting in Southern California is largely a highly limited waste of time. That, and to be honest, I just don't have much time to spend scouting game. It'd be nice to try and scout up in Northern Cal, but the truth is I just don't see myself driving 1000 miles a weekend...

I have no problems admitting my limitations: I really don't know where to turn. By my math (and limited time) it pretty much means that I need to work with an Outfitter or Guide service of some kind. Makes sense to me: one goes to school to learn from the professors...one goes to a PH to learn as well. Problem is, I have no idea who the good outfitters are (let's face it, they all claim to be the best!).

New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah? I am quite open to suggestions.

For what it's worth, the rifles are a Rem 673 in .350 RM, a Marlin 336 LTD in .35 Rem, and a .260 Rem on the wishlist (still drooling and deciding...)

If anyone can direct me appropriately, I'd much appreciate the help.

(PS: lovin the site! Great info and amazingly well educated responses. Gotta love it.)

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Welcome! You will quicky see there is a diverse and outspoken set of opinions here! But honestly, despite all of the disagreements and crap that goes on....I like EVERYONE on this board....(even the Jackasses from Texas Wink and if you don't take things to seriously you may find as much helpful informatin as I have...

Now as to your question....I reccomend wholeheartedly Montana or Wyoming!!

Cheers!

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you have in mind? Are you interested in a true wilderness hunting experience, complete with horseback travel and staying in a tent, or do you want a few more creature comforts? There are hunts on Federal land, private land, and even in fenced preserves, should you be inclined to go that route. Western outfitters can supply you with whatever you desire. If you PM me, I can supply you with a list of outfitters I have hunted with and whether or not I recommend them. For the record, I can't help you with fenced preserve hunting.
As to the rifles, I can't advise you. Your .350 should be fine for elk or mule deer, but I am not familiar with it. The other two are a bit on the light side.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
patrkyhntr,

Good question as to the type of hunt: I really should have put that in the original message to start with.

It's easier to start with what I don't want. I don't want some chained down, stuck in a blind, whack a "limited space ranch" hunt. Locally the only pheasant hunting we have is the kind where they spin the bird in a cage and then release them...I find it appalling. I can find pheasant like that in the grocery store.

The blind hunting I did with a friend was boring, but then I knew it would be. I needed to stock the freezer with meat for sausage. It wasn't a hunt...it was shopping.

I do Chukar hunting on public lands out in the desert and (sick pup that I must be) I love it. 15 mile days humping around in anything from 30 degrees to 100+ degrees up and down rocks and hills - it's brutal and I love it. Chukar and Quail are in abundance here in SoCal. It's fairly easy to drive out a couple hours and find a few coveys to bust.

I'm looking for the "real deal" in a hunt. 8 day Backpack or horse hunts, lots of hiking, get out into the really deep backcountry type hunts. I know it's the type of hunt where one may never see the game for more than a split second - I'm good with that. I'd rather be in God's Cathedral enjoying nature in all it's splendor than on a ranch "shopping for a trophy".

The best comparison I can make is from deep sea fishing for Tuna. You research the boat, the skipper, and their previous successes. You get your rods and reels in order and do all the work to be ready. Shell out some big bucks for a spot on the boat. And for the next 4-8 days you troll around looking for fish. But even the most successful skipper is going to get skunked on occasion. The ocean IS a very big place...

Regards,

Robert

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First figure a way to get a 30/06 as your primary rifle.
I would then decide my primary animal (elk, mule deer etc.)
Determine how much time and money you can afford to spend.
Ask the AR members for suggestions that meet your criteria.
Call the references you will get and ask lots of questions!!!!
Good luck!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
30-06: I can borrow no less than Five different makes & models if needed. Still, I don't have much interest in the good ole '06. Call me strange, but I like doing things a bit "off kilter". As I handload (and do get 3/4" groups from my .350 at 100 yards with a 225 GameKing, 1" with a Nosler Partition) I can pretty much get my .350 to be more than adequate for anything this side of 300 yards. 300 yards, btw, is my personal limit. I have no business shooting beyond that.

Primary Animal? Honestly, I'm wide open with this one. I absolutely know Elk is on the menu as well as Deer. The rest is up to whatever happens to tickle me (since I don't know any better!) at the moment. The truth is that since I really don't know that much I'm open to anything. Moose & Caribou is a longer term dream.

Budget? Let's start with a week and $5,000. Airfare NOT included (I get several frequent flyer tickets a year).

Let's see...I prefer mountains over deserts and I don't need to be doing any kind of super long range hunting. I'm no stranger to camping or backpacking and in reasonably good health.

Does that help narrow the field?

Regards,

Robert

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
You have a PM

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Jim,

PM received and very, very much appreciated. I have tags for the New York Mountains (they pulled a whopping 17 deer out of there last year...) - Not expecting much there, but it's a humble start. I will be looking into your suggestions throughout the year.

In fact, everyones responses have been hugely appreciated. It's quite refreshing to be welcomed to a new forum as openly as this place.

Regards,

Robert

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
What about a Colorado Bull Elk? Sounds like that would be right up your alley and should be able to come in less then 5K. Anyone have an outfitter suggestion?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Anyone who likes humping the hills after chukar is deranged. I know. I am one of those.

The only thing that really compares is non-rut elk hunting and high mountain mule deer hunting. The problem with those is that it takes really too much time to acclimate to the 8,000 to 12,000 foot level to be effective on a 7 day hunt, hence the horses the outfitters rely on.

However, there are other things you can do with your time, locally, that are a lot of fun. If you like hiking in a long way, you might just have a blast coyote hunting. Pressure tends to be inversely related with access, and coyote hunting is cheap, fun, and productive.

For fun hunts, check out B.C. and Alberta. Lower elevations, and once you are on a plane, an extra hour or two don't matter.

As far as guns, your 350 will take anything that needs killing. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:
However, there are other things you can do with your time, locally, that are a lot of fun. If you like hiking in a long way, you might just have a blast coyote hunting. Pressure tends to be inversely related with access, and coyote hunting is cheap, fun, and productive.

Great point on the Coyote hunting. I try to get out at least once a month to go bunny busting. Let's me keep the muscles a bit looser and also let's me remember the finer basics of shouldering the rifle. I've downloaded my .350 with a 125 gr Hornady XTP - moves out around 2900fps. I use it on Jackrabbits and coyotes (only one I saw was 400+ yards away and moving off at a good clip).

I hadn't thought of BC or Alberta - definitely putting that on the list of places to go.

Bulldog is right about the Colorado Bull Elk. I don't quite know why but a Bull Elk hunt seems to be on the top of my list. I'm leaning towards trying something a bit cheaper first so I can learn a bit before I go.

Regards,

Robert

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I've found it interesting but Northern Arizona is always overlooked for Elk. I believe you will find that most of the record trophy bulls were taken in Arizona. I don't know what to tell you about an outfitter because we always go it alone (but then too I live in AZ). Out of state tags can be a problem to get however so I'm guessing finding a good outfitter is a must. Best of luck on any of your choices because it will be fun no matter what...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RNOVI, I don't know where you live in So. Calif., but I lived in Hollywood/Studio City for 35 years.

I hunted elk several times in s.w. Colorado, with these outfitters.

http://www.overthehilloutfitters.com/

Outstanding hunt, camp, horses, help-in-the-field, good guides, etc. From my home in Studio City to the middle of Durango, Colo., was 825 miles. Not tough to get to.

If you want to drive farther, I've hunted here in Idaho (when I still lived in Studio City) with Leo Crane, of Clearwater Outfitters in Orofino, Idaho. Another very fine hunt and camp, etc., although a much longer drive.

That .350 with good bullets will do for any elk walking around these parts, so long as you do your part.

Good hunting and good luck!

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Freelance deer/antelope/elk hunting in Wyoming is not so bad, the drive is a day and a half and the country is nice. Weather can be anything from easy to wet/slippy. Most of Montana is a two-day haul from here, but worth it if there is a week or two to spare.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
Freelance deer/antelope/elk hunting in Wyoming is not so bad, the drive is a day and a half and the country is nice. Weather can be anything from easy to wet/slippy. Most of Montana is a two-day haul from here, but worth it if there is a week or two to spare.

Hi Tom,

Can you tell me what you mean by "freelance"? Are you saying without a guide? I have been under the impression that one would need to do quite a bit of scouting to make that viable...and a day & a half of one way drive makes scouting a bit difficult.

Regards,

Robert

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If you want to get your feet wet, just buy an over the counter cow elk tag somewhere. Lots of those around in various places, and though it's not the same as knocking a 400 inch royal on his side, it'll give you an idea of the terrain and the sort of physical conditioning required to go solo on elk.

The good news: less than $2,000, counting license and tags, lodging, car rental and airfare.

If you are looking in Idaho, I suggest you call the regional Fish and Game office in Idaho Falls, and ask to speak to a biologist for suggestions. The last time I asked one of those guys for a hint, I shot an elk 45 minutes later.......HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
Can you tell me what you mean by "freelance"? Are you saying without a guide? I have been under the impression that one would need to do quite a bit of scouting to make that viable...and a day & a half of one way drive makes scouting a bit difficult.

Yes, no guide. Means you probably won't take a wallhanger unless you're real lucky but you'll probably see some elk and maybe get something for freezer meat. A guide who is in-country every day knows more-or-less where he's seen elk and how big, although they will walk quite a ways overnight and disappear if there's something tasty on the other side of a ridge or they don't like something they saw during the day. Dutch's idea of a cow tag or any-elk tag is good, also the notion of talking to locals about conditions. Without those two items we would have struck out on that trip, although we had been into the antelope the week before.

Last time my pal and I did that, we ended up with a yearling between us but saw more elk and might have done better if the weather hadn't been quite so miserable or we had more time to hang around. The truck was swimming in slippy mud until we got up high enough for snow ( and stayed low enough so we weren't in the glare ice ). We drove and slept on the ground most of the time ( went to town for Saturday night bath ), and it didn't cost an arm-and-leg.

I have an area "B" tag for this year, plan to sneak out of town for Siskyou County late September, haven't been there for awhile. There are Wyoming leftover antelope tags that can be gotten later on, mostly for areas with limited public property, but there are some promising spots...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote