Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Hunt Diary
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
This is from my journal and was my hunt on the afternoon of Nov 7, 2002.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Had an interesting go tonight in one of my baited stands. Was looking to tag a good doe for the freezer.

At 5:35 I saw an antlerless shape headed my way, not one, but two. They were milling about in some brush when one started coming in. When it was 30 yards away I drew my bow CERTAIN I'd fill a doe tag!

The doe came cruising in and was beading in on a few sugar beets I had 16 yards from my stand. I was ready to take a final aim and saw two nice circles on the top of it's head in front of the ears.

Hold on, it's a big button buck! Neato, I've never seen one live. His ears also appear quite large and are heavily rimmed in black fur. He has the look of a small mule.

It was kind of windy and I needed to let my arrow down as this was definitly not a target. He turned his back to me and in the rustling wind I let my arrow down. He never heard me and then the other deer started walking in. I got ready in case it was "momma".

Nope, turns out to be sis or another doe fawn. The two goof around for awhile and eat a little then get nervous when the wind picks up.

The young doe walks down my trail and the button follows her. She stops and HE decides he's in the rut too like the big boys and jumps on her. Was I ever surprised! Bro on doe situation. She moved off a few steps and he climbed back on. Looked more like puppies playing than anything else. They romped off and it was time for me to get down and walk out.

Interesting evening, I could have easily taken them both. Was more fun watching tonight. Would have made for some good video.

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah
I laughed MAO watching a fawn jumping in and out of a water puddle one time. Played for 15 min in and out.
I woulda like to have that on film.

Posts: 140 | Location: Saskatoon | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good time. I have kept a log on fishing trip but never thought to do that with my hunting camp. Thanks for the idea. Have fun this season.

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a nice evening even if the freezer wasn't filled up. [Smile]

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote