New
Find
Notify
Tools

antrax or weather ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I hunt a lease about 60 miles south of Sonora,Tx.The lease had lots of deer on it last year.An average sit on stand most mornings would produce 10 -15 deer sighted.Buck to doe ratio seemed about 50-50.
Now I am hearing from the hunters there this week that they are seeing almost no deer at all.
I have heard that there were some problems in the area with anthrax this summer but no one has seen any carcasses or any sign of a massive dieoff.
It's a fact that the weather has been hot and wet and the browse is in great shape.It's also a fact that the domestic stock(primarily goats) seem to be doing fine.
Can anyone from the area (or elsewhere) shed some light on the subject.I am getting packed to leave for a week of hunting and would love to know what to expect ....eyedoc

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc,

Don't fear. My opinion is it is the weather. Just got off the phone with a rancher friend, he says they are moving like crazy today after this cool front moved through.

Keep us posted anyway.

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc,

I've got the same problems way up here in NY. From what I've heard the deer just aren't happening...Well, with any luck I'll at least see a doe or something big and meat laden Friday or Saturday.

Anyhow, good luck in the field and welcome to A.R.

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote