New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I person just called and offered me $1000.00 dollars to take his son turkey hunting. He was referred to our place by a neighbor.

We do not let folks hunt here. I kill one turkey and maybe a buck every other year off this place, but I agreed to take the young man who is 12 years old for free next Saturday.

I am a little intense when it comes to my hunting. It is also getting late in the season. I told his father that next weekend was getting late in the season. I told him I would take him this evening, but they are very Christian and do not hunt on Sundays.

I have no idea about the young man’s skill level. Any advice?

Posts: 11387 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safe gun handling first and foremost....

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1299 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
May I make the following suggestions?: Your attitude can either make or break this young man as a hunter. Please leave your intensity at the door as you leave to go out. Be a good mentor and show him the right way to hunt-whether he gets a turkey or not. Patience, proper gun safety and the fundamentals of marksmanship will help. Most likely he'll idolize you at the end of the hunt if all goes well-turkey or no turkey. You'll also make a life long friend and help the hunting community grow. Good luck. You're in for a great experience in my estimation. Many of us would jump at the chance to show a new 12 year old hunter the ropes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can someone tell me how to explain to him about picking the spot the turkey is going to and having the gun there when he gets there.

He may just have to learn by getting busted like I did and still do.

Let say the hunting is not very good are there some activities you can think of that can mak the day enjoyable?

I thought putting up some turkey head targets and letting him shoot if it just aim’t going to happen. Parents do not believe in card playing.

Posts: 11387 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with what Use Enough Gun said. Make this safe, positive, and relaxing for the kid.

I also predict you will be hit with this same request again.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I could go on for pages, but a few ideas:

- Get out early enough to hear birds on the roost.

- Bring a comfortable seat for the lad.

- Let him carry the empty gun - 20-guage would be best.

- Use a box blind and decoys if possible. If not, a ground blind of some sort if possible.

- Have "shooting sticks" or a support for the gun to help it stay steady without too much movement.

- Teach him how to use a slate call - maybe you have one you don't use often you can give him.

- Bring venison jerky - or beef jerky and tell him it's deer meat - cut it with a pocketknife for extra effect.

- Build a small fire in the woods and cook something.

- Figure out some small reward for finding things in the woods like feathers, mushrooms, bones - that will keep him busy on the walks.

- Take a few good pictures of him in the field whether he gets one or not.

- Walk him hard so he's dead tired by the end of the day.

- At 12, my nephew was more interested in catching frogs, finding feathers and climbing trees than killing a bird. His sister was more interested in shooting a turkey or deer just so she could skin it because she found it fascinating. You're gonna have to engage in conversation with the lad to find out what he wants, not just what his parents want.

For some, it's all about the kill, for others, it's all about the hunt.

Good luck!

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Cat:
Safe gun handling first and foremost....

There should be an opportunity for him to pattern the shotgun, if only so he can say he shot it.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys: Great advice. I would normally not agree to this, but his dad really wanted me to take him. I turned down the money.

I am not very good with kids. I am actually stressing/concerned about giving him a positive experience knowing a bird is not guaranteed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can, please post some pics of you and the boy when the hunt is completed. We're all pulling for your success. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't treat him as a kid.
treat him as an unknowledgeable adult.

give him a good clear explanation of what you expect, answer any questions he has, and then give him a pat on the back [and try for a smile] before heading out.

remember he don't know.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Complimenting and praising him will go a long way. I know as a lawyer that you're not used to doing that(I know I'm a lawyer too Big Grin ), but we can only give our kids good or bad memories and here he needs a good one. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joshua,
You have been given an opportunity to be part of coming of age for a young man.
By being asked you have been honoured. I know you can do this.
There's no chance you will teach all he needs to know in one outing and I feel the aim should be to gently spark a feeling in him that might with time grow into a full and true understanding and love of hunting. There's been some knowledgeable posts made above and I would only add try to see the outing through his eyes and you will instinctively know what to do. Remember how you were at his age. I'm sure he will have many questions and he will grow a little if he thinks you are enjoying his company during a day outdoors.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2049 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just remember for the young man this supposed to be FUN. So keep it fun for him.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I would keep an empty chamber at all times unless ready to fire.

Too many sad stories involved in not doing so.

As a child I was tought to use the safety. I have had enough and seen enough firearms negligent or mechanically induced cartridge shots fired that I have changed to the no cartridge in the chamber mantra.

And I check it periodically throughout the day. Even though I know it is empty.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Don't compromise safety over fun!

We have an elk hunt in October, I'd like to see you there!

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LHEYM500

How about having the young man over for a little gun handling and target shooting before the actual hunt. That way you'll have a better idea what your in for and how to conducted the hunting day.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12928 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
What a wodnerful opportunity you have with this yong man.
Lost of information here and all good. I would stress not to overload the kid with information of any and all kinds. Safe gun handling is a must. Second is to sit still and be quiet. All will fall in place after that. Too much info may take away the fun and interest. I think your goal is to keep interest up so he wants to come back next year, successful not this year. I think having him shoot a bit before the hunt is the best advise.
Good luck and post his pic here, turkey or not, and he will get lots of positive comments.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
LHEYM500

How about having the young man over for a little gun handling and target shooting before the actual hunt. That way you'll have a better idea what your in for and how to conducted the hunting day.

Mark Young: That would be great. It is simply all I can do to get him out this weekend. I will try to get him out Friday afternoon as I get home a little earlier on Fridays. Maybe get an extra day in. And then do some shooting.

I am going to listen to BWW and have him load the gun with me close behind him when we make sets. Unload if we move to another set.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
X2 on start a fire. Make some tea or hot chocolate. I loved that when I was, hell I still love it.

Posts: 3462 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Mine was roasted sausage over fire

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Guys: Great advice. I would normally not agree to this, but his dad really wanted me to take him. I turned down the money.

I am not very good with kids. I am actually stressing/concerned about giving him a positive experience knowing a bird is not guaranteed.

Make sure the kid is anxious to go turkey hunting and not the dad pushing. IF the kid is all for the hunt it will be a good experience for both of you regardless of whether Tom cooperates.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I got a call at 10:00 from the father that a business matter would prevent him from bringing his son over. They are Mennonites. There businesses is roofing. So, all hands on deck.

I told them. I hope all goes well. We don’t love money, but need it. I also told him he had my number.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
May I make the following suggestions?: Your attitude can either make or break this young man as a hunter. Please leave your intensity at the door as you leave to go out. Be a good mentor and show him the right way to hunt-whether he gets a turkey or not. Patience, proper gun safety and the fundamentals of marksmanship will help. Most likely he'll idolize you at the end of the hunt if all goes well-turkey or no turkey. You'll also make a life long friend and help the hunting community grow. Good luck. You're in for a great experience in my estimation. Many of us would jump at the chance to show a new 12 year old hunter the ropes.

+1!

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice above.
If the chance comes, do it. If you connect, you may realize you had as much fun as getting a trophy yourself.
It's the best hunting experience I have, taking kids out.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
If you can, please post some pics of you and the boy when the hunt is completed. We're all pulling for your success. tu2

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36869 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Sorry the hunt didn’t make. The thread did my heart good though just hearing all this good advice you got from some obviously very good men.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36869 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The season closed May 8. However, we have made arrangements to do this in the fall. I am going to sneak in a predator call.

If it is slow. We will make it a surprise coyote hunt.