point flat nose bullet they load. It
looks like a killer too. Graf & Sons has a close-out special at $9.95 /box of

The catalog G&S sent with the ammo says:

"...ammo has a slight feeding problem in some guns because the bullet is very
sharp around flat nose".

What they mean is the tip is quite flat, and the transition from the nose to
the flat is very abrupt. I measured the flat meplat at .168". It feeds well
in my Steyr Scout, not hanging up in the synthetic magazine at all. Next step
is to check how well my rifle shoots it.

Info on the bullet and cartridge is at: http://www.dnrws.com/p672.htm

Any reports on this load from the European users?

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Well Jim I just took delivery of a box of 196gr Oryx for my 8x57 on Saturday. My initial comments are that the shape of the ogive is sharp leading to a short C.O.L. according to my Stoney Point tool.

I agree it looks a killer. I have a nice Kudu in mind for mine in a couple of months.

I would be interested to hear the terminal performance if you recover any bullets.

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Oryx bullets!!

I would not go above 2600 f/s with the 180 gr. bullet in .30 for biggame like moose though. It expands really good and with vel. higher than 2600 f/s I think they mabye starting to come apart. There is a 200 grainer for the tuffer jobs avalible. The 180 gr Oryx is perfect for the .308 Win.!

The bullet is a bonded core and I get exellent precision in my .308 with it.

I have used the 15 gram Oryx in my 9,3X62 with great results on moose.

Stefan

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is some photos.

Norma Oryx .30 180 gr. shot in wet newspaipers. V/0 2550 f/s.

Norma Oryx 9,3 mm. 15 grams. All three expanded bullets recovered from adult mooses.

Stefan.

I never seemes to get the photo trick to work...

The adresses is:http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=31455630&photoID=31455654&security=YSbyThDbvw

And:http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=31455630&photoID=31455680&security=AxIZHPdsnn

Hope the links work......

[This message has been edited by Stefan (edited 02-18-2002).]

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Stefan,

I tried the links but got an error on each one indicating that I was not the owner of the album...jim

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try at: http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=31455630

I always run in to all sorts of troubble when trying to post pictures

Stefan.

<jpamp>
posted
Gentlemen,
I,ve been using the 180 gr Oryx in my 308win for the last two seasons. A lot of my hunting buddies here in Sweden use it aswell both in 30-06 and in 308 win muzzle velocities has been between 2550-2750 fps. The results so far has been very good. Between us there must have been taken at least 15-20 mooses and a lot of smaller game like deer, boar and such. It seems like norma has areal winner in this one, but Stefan is absolutly correct in warning against higher velocities with this bullet. My own testing has showed that impactvelocities at or above 2800 fps is definitly not recommended. The bc of the bullet is pretty conservative which of course means that it's not a long range bullet. But for all those hunting situations where 200 m is considered a very long shot at works beautifully.

Regards
Henrik

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stefan can't see the photos :-(

Daniel

PS where it's possible to find a tutorial how to post photos

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Daniel,

Welcome to the forum!

GeorgeS, one of the moderators, sent me these instructions:

"The way to insert a photo in the post is first, you must have the photo loaded on a home page or photo hosting service (I use www.Hunting-Pictures.com.
Once you've uploaded the JPEG to the website, copy the URL (CTRL C on Windows machines). When posting to the forum, type the following:
[img]http=//the url of your photo[/img]

e.g.,

That will insert the photo. It's as easy as that.

Hope this helps,
George"

It is important to post the address of the photo you are trying to post, and not the URL of the webpage that the photo is on.

I hope to see the photos too.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, I think there's something unique about the way that the WEBSHOTS site files the photos. I never could get my link to work from here either.

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
test of photo insertion

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Daniel & Stefan,

I was able to post the two photos above; one by following George's instructions using the free photo hosting web site, and the second by using a photo from my web site.

The trick is to put the actual file designation of the photo between the start and stop tags in the window here. I read that file designation by going to my website, and clicking and holding on the photo (Macintosh instructions). You can right click with a PC. A menu pops up, and you can do several things to let you find what you are looking for. One the Mac I used the "Open in new window" choice. The new window has the file designation in the address bar -- you can copy and paste that to your message window in the forum.

I couldn't get the photo stuff to work when I first tried either.

Meanwhile I am going to the range to fire the Oryx loads...jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

<PCH>
posted
The Oryx is a great bullet and have become very popular in short time here in Sweden. It's a bullet that favors expansion and high weight retention instead of extreme penetration. Which is what most Swedish moose hunters prefer.

Unfortunately the Oryx hardly feeds at all in my 308 win Sako. Which I found out after loading a bunch of them this last summer I single feed a Oryx into the chamber and fill the mag with nosler. Fortunately they shoot the same up to 200 meters. Hardly practical but I like the performance of the oryx. Norma is supposed to fix that problem by giving it a little lead tip but they're not certain if they'll do it this year

Stefan,
Kan du fixa matningen p� min Sako eller verkar det knepigt?

<Husky>
posted
Gentlemen,
On my latest plainsgame Safari in RSA i killed one Zebra stallion, one Kudu, one Blesbuck and one Impala ram. All with one shoot kills ranges from 70m up to 230m (the Zebra). Rifle Husqvarna 1600 in 30-06, bullet Norma Oryx 180gr. No feeding problem. We only found the bullet in the Zebra, weight retention 94%.
I am very pleased with the Oryx and compare it right along with Woodleigh bullets (to atleast in Sweden a much cheaper price)

/Husky

one of us
posted Hide Post
Testing to post some of Stefans old pictures

... Nr.4: Norma Oryx 6,5 154 gr. from a 300 kg moose bull v/0 ca, 770 m/s. ... 11-13: Norma 9,3 Oryx 15 gram shot in wet paper v/0 770 m/s. Nr. 14-17: Norma 9,3 Oryx 15 gram from adult moose v/0 770 m/s
PerN

[This message has been edited by PerN (edited 02-19-2002).]

Posts: 108 | Location: Härnösand Sweden | Registered: 17 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I am just back from the range.

The best group from my Steyr .308 Win with the Norma 180 grain factory load was .908" at 100 yards for 3 shots.

The fired cases miked .4702" (averaged) across the case head forward of the extractor groove. The primers were slightly flat -- as the range temperature was 59 Deg F, these two things tell me that the load is on the hot side.

I will have to fire it in warmer temperatures to check that too. It would work fine on my Canada hunts in the fall, but might be too hot in this rifle for African hunts.

I cleaned the rifle too, and there was a little more jacket metal in the bore than I usually get, indicating a softer allow than my other bullets. I expect that helps with the expansion and holding together of the bullets.

So far, so good.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

[This message has been edited by HunterJim (edited 02-19-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had trouble upploading pictures to hunting-Pictures latley but when I tried this time it seemes to be ok!

Here is another try.....

Oryx .30 180 gr.

Oryx 9,3 15 grams.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the tips how to post a photo , this time I could see the photos and understand why Norma change the 232 grains 9,3 for a 285 grains , after hit a big game 232 grains it's not enough to have a exit hole , it could work ok on a European game as deer or boar , but not enough on big moose and african game , also I prefer this time of bullets with improved expansion / high retention instead of deep penetration , hope it work on my 300 H&H at below 3000 fps

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe these hit the shoulder? You'll note they've not failed and they are also recovered. I would prefer this to a bullet that might not open if it didn't hit a rib on the way in or out. Not a lot of blood to follow from that and less damage to boot.

Are Norma dropping the 232gr Oryx? I want a bunch as this weight suits me just fine. No worrying about bullet drop or having to zero lots high at 100. Just point and fire. If I can't kill it with this bullet I've missed.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<PCH>
posted
This bull moose was taken with a .308 win 180 gr Oryx at 40 meters. The bullet penetrated thru and was of course never recovered.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bull PCH!

The 9,3 Oryx bullets are all from shoulder shots. All of them have penetrated both shoulders.

The nr.15 on the b&v pic. that PerN posted is the "worst" Oryx performance I have seen so far in the 9,3. That bullet hit the shoulder bone close to the joint on it�s way in on a 400+ lbs. moose bull at 50 m. The bullet penetrated thru and was recovered under the skin on the opposite side.

I�ll probably change to the 18,5 gram Oryx when I get my hands on some.

Stefan.

one of us
posted Hide Post
where can a fella get his hands on some of these to load? Are they made in 270 and 338 dia?

Thx

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<PCH>
posted
Check Normas webpage for info. I don't think they make them in 270 or 338. Only 6.5 mm, 7 mm, 30, 8 mm and 9.3 mm.

http://www.norma.cc/

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mark,

From the Dynamit Nobel website, the US distributors:

NORMA COMPONENT DISTRIBUTORS:
Black Hills Shooters Supply
PO Box 4220
Rapid City, SD 57709
Phone: (605) 348-4477
Fax: (605) 348-5037

Huntington
PO Box 991
Oroville, CA 95965
Phone: (916) 534-1210
Fax: (916) 534-1212

Sinclair International Inc.
2330 Wayne Haven Street
Fort Wayne, Indiana 46803
Phone: (219) 493-1858
Fax: (219) 493-2530

Midway Arms
5875 W. van Horn Tavern Road
Columbia, Missouri 65203
Phone: (573) 445-6363
Fax: (573) 446-1018

NECO
536-C Stone Road
Benicia, CA 94510
Phone: (510) 450-0420
Fax: (707) 747-0898

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."