THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Stem-to-stern penetration from a Ballistic Tip??? Absolutely...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stem-to-stern penetration from a Ballistic Tip??? Absolutely...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

Well, it may have only been on a bobcat Smiler, but the results could not have been any better as there was no pelt damage other than a small hole near the shoulder where a bone fragment broke through the skin.

I took the cat at 266 yards after it turned and began walking directly away from me. The 150 grain BT entered its backside and was found protruding from the center of the skull during the skinning process.

I don’t shoot bolt rifles much (I prefer Contenders and Encores), and a .308 is not my idea of an ideal predator rifle. But it did the trick – and I certainly can’t argue with the results.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a small doe, dressed about 100 pounds, with a 140 grain BT out of my 7mm08. I was impressed and amazed. I rushed the shot and hit right of where I was aiming. She was looking at me and I wanted the base of the neck. Instead I put the bullet behind the shoulder blade. Bullet clipped every rib and exited the hip. Hip joint was totally shattered as well as all the leg bones. I cannot believe the bullet did not deflect upon hitting the ribs. I was even more surprised the bullet exited and there was enough bullet left to do destroy the hip. So much for the BT being to explosive for good penetration.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While the Ballistic Tip does tend to expand broadly, even fragmenting to some extent, most people overlook the fairly deep penetration provided by the solid base of jacket material. This "solid base" supports a bit of the lead core and the jacket material attached to it (usually about 50% or so of the bullet's unfired weight), and allows it to penetrate surprisingly deep.

The Ballistic Tips (hunting-style, not varimint-style) I've tested for penetration in paper medium have consistently pentrated about 10-15% deeper than similar conventional cup-and-core bullets from Hornady, Speer, or Sierra.

For any kind of game the size of caribou and smaller, the Ballistic Tip hunting bullets provide very appropriate and lethal performance.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek-

Your findings mirror mine. I've used them quite a bit, never pushed them beyond their design envelope and have always been rewarded with terrific performance.

In fact, the performance of the BTs is nearly ample consolation for (and helps me forget about Smiler) the demise of the original Solid Base, lead-tipped Noslers.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In fact, the performance of the BTs is nearly ample consolation for (and helps me forget about ) the demise of the original Solid Base, lead-tipped Noslers.

I'll never forget or forgive Nosler for dropping the Solid Bases. But for anyone who ever used them the reason was clear: They virtually duplicated the performance of the Partition in a bullet priced like a WW Powerpoint. And accurate, too. Little wonder Nosler pulled them from the retail market!

Like you, I've got a small horde of them in selected calibers, and since Nosler still produces them to sell to ammunition manufacturers, from time to time they are available as "seconds" (actually contract overruns). Haven't found any "seconds" in the Solid Bases lately, but hope springs eternal.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote