Find
Notify
Tools

Houston
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted
I'm going to be in Houston for a few days around the end of the month. Will probably have some time to kill and was wondering if there are any gun shops worth visiting? Good restaraunts or anything else?

Thanks!

Adam

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
If you only visit one place....this should be it: http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/

Also, if you make it up around Conroe, send me a PM. There are several good places nearby.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Collectors Firearms
Carter's Country on Interstate 10 - Great whitetail and mule deer mounts. The salesmen are jerks.
Orvis

Lupe Tortillas for Mexican
Pappas Steak House
Pappas Burgers

Posts: 80 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Collectors is a good choice. Another, but you need to call to make an appointment, would be Dustin Mounts on South Post Oak. Dustin sells some top end stuff, particularly shotguns. He is Purdy's rep here in the States. It is not showroom, and you need to make an appointment to swing by.

Go eat at Goode Company on Kirby and have some barbecue. Lots of good Mexican food choices, hard to beat Chuys for Tex-Mex.

Enjoy your time in our fair city.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Houston is a big place!
What part of town are you going to be in? Lots of great "hole-in-the-wall" places to eat, all depending on what you'd like to eat/try.

Taste of Texas for steaks! I-10 (Katy Frwy) @ Beltway 8.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Haven't been to Briley's in a while but at one time they had some nice period shotguns and rifles.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents,
I will be down near the University of Houston. I'll be sure to look into these places.

Thanks!

Adam

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adamhunter:
I will be down near the University of Houston.

Do you have a conceal carry permit . . . might consider using it.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Do you have a conceal carry permit . . . might consider using it.

That's comforting to know. Since I dont have a CCW, can I borrow one of your doubles? I like heavy artillery! Smiler

I waa looking on google maps and saw names like South Central and 4th Ward. Was wondering if I googled LA instead of Houston.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a good neighborhood down that way!
Do you know exactly where your hotel is located?
I'd want to stay in one downtown, NOT one near the UoH campus!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:
Not a good neighborhood down that way!
Do you know exactly where your hotel is located?
I'd want to stay in one downtown, NOT one near the UoH campus!

Probably the University Medical Center Marriott.

Thanks!