Notify
Tools

Colorado Success
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All

Just returned from my Colorado Hunt.
It was a dry hot opener, not at all the best weather for hunting elk. But have a good spot, would have been surprised if I didn't spot any game. At day break had four small bulls past by me, then about a dozen cows. About twenty minutes later and two ridges over, spotted this 6x6.
Made a good shot which took both shoulders , went right down. Was using my Rem M700 LSS 338 RUM with 225 gr Accubonds. This was the same rifle I took to AK for my sheep hunt with so I was very confident with it. Took me an hour and a half to reach him. He had piled up in thick brush on a very steep ridge, being alone had a rough time dealing with him.

The work Begins!!

For those of you that haven't hunted it, this is what Colorado oak brush is like.

After an hour hour or so had five strong arm guys show and got him out to the truck.

Part way down, couldnt go any further had to cut him in half.
Next morning we didn't hunt--snowing so hard we couldn't get out of camp. That's Colorado. Two days later we were hanging out in our tee shirts and not enjoying the 70 degree weather.
Also filled a cow tag and my partner took a 5x5.

Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Phil ,He is a beauty, makes me dream out loud. Thanks for posting

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting on a nice bull. Congrats.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Job on a nice bull!! Must be a hard hunt when you are all alone like that. Hard to pass up bulls even on opening day. It is rewarding to make the right choice!

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Excellent job! thumb

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
congratulations!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Congrats, He's a bute.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
A keeper for sure!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go, nice hat rack and some steaks, not bad. thumb