New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Which scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gee, I guess with everybody using space telescopes for hunting, I'm really out of step using a .300WM with a 1.5x5 Burris. I used it for years to elk hunt and if mulies and antelope were in the mix, it killed them too. I never shot an elk at much over 100 yards but the 1.5 & 2 setting really helped when hunting dark timber. My longest shot to date was an antelope at 380 long steps using a .280 with a 2x7 Leuy. I had ranged it using the plex in the scope at 400 yards. I think over powered scopes tempt folks into trying shots they are not capable of.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm getting a lot of good information here and should have described my hunting style.
For many years I�ve hunted from a bale shack on the edge of a large valley. The ranges vary from 200 to 600 yards shooting down into the valley. My longest shot verified by my Yardage Pro was 560 yards. All shots are taken from a solid rest at feeding deer. I�ve taken my share of Whitetails and never required a second shot or lost one. I regularly practice long range shooting at the range and am confident in taking shots out to 600 yards. Therefore the questions on 4-16 power variables with AO.
I�ve used a Leupold VX II 4-12 X40 for many years and thought it was time to increase the power and get in on the new technologic improvements over the last 20 years. I require a scope with ballistic cross hairs to eliminate the hold over guess work as my eyes are not what they used to be. I like the Burris ballistic plex and will definitely check out the Leupold VX III 4.5-14 with the B&C crosshairs.
I have a Bushnell Elite 4200 6 - 24 X 40 MOA on my Anschutz 1717 with no problem taking gophers out to 200 yards. I almost put this scope on my .270 but fancy a scope with the ballistic crosshairs.
Thanks for the suggestions and information.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
My prefered scope is a 3X9. Latley Ive been itching for something with more magnification for varminting purposes though.

Ive used el-cheapo Bushnells for years with no "failures". Impressive optics for the cost of taking the family to McDonalds. Im basically with Pecos on that aspect, however.. If your a one gun person then Id definatley reccomend something that closer resembles an investment.

For the money, Ive found the Bushnell Legend to be a wonderfull scope. A couple reasons that I no longer care for the real cheap ones are the adjustment ring sucks and the eye relief is too critical and not long enough. The Legend addresses those things with excellent light transmission as well.

My go to deer rifle wears a Trophy, I like it for deer for the low light definition and wide angle. It is a bit more compact than the Legend too, but I much prefer the adjustment ring on the legend. Someone mentioned that the Legend is basically the Elite without the rainguard, which makes it about the equivalent of the old VX-II for $125.00.

As Ive mentioned before, Bushnell is a division of Bausch and lomb, Tasco makes babie buggies and lawn darts.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4.5-14x42 Burris Bal-Plex is a real good scope and right now you can get a 12x42x50 spotter scope with it free from www.midsouthshooterssupply.com $329.00 My friend got the 3-9x40 Bal Plex with the free 20x50 spotter. Pretty neat little spotting scope that will fit in a coat pocket and is really bright for a free Spotter. Scopes are crystal clear

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
It sounds like I'm in the minority, but I prefer the higher powers. I like the extra power when I'm trying to grow horns on a animal or to judge a animal.
I personally like the Bushnell elite for the money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bushnell have gotten pretty darn good, I would love to try the one with the glow in the dark reticles, firefly I think they call it. I use Burris 3x9's, they are almost 20 years old and have served me well.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I havent seen any one mention Schmidt and Bender. These are probably the finest scopes in the world and made in Germany. Ive done side-by comparisions with Leupold, Zeiss and Swaroski. The Schmidt and Bender are brighter and clearer.

Just look on the History Channel sniper show, you only see 2 scopes,-Leupold MK4(30mm tubes) and Schmidt and Bender military/tactical scopes.

For the money your cannt beat a VX3 Leupold, its crazy to spend 2 grand on a scope unless you are really serious or just want the best!! < !--color-->

one of us
posted Hide Post
HunterFisher,

Sounds a taylor made situation for Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 with side focus. Check out the #58 reticle.