New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of a buffalo hunt...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been thinking about a buffalo hunt for some time now. I do have one question.

What to do with all that meat? My family could never go through that much meat in year. Also we would have no place to store it. For those that have gone taken a bison.

What did you do with the meat?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

[ 03-12-2003, 20:06: Message edited by: Quail Wing ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quail Wing,

There are ranches where the hunt only includes the Head and the Hide. Then if you want a few packages of the meat you buy it from the rancher.
Several people book for this ranch near Pierre, South Dakota. Adventures in Hunting's Dale Hedgepeth and Bill Snodgrass are two agents that book this hunt. I think the ranch is 60,000 acres and about as close to hunting Buffalo like 150 years ago as you can get.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye47:
I think the ranch is . . . about as close to hunting Buffalo like 150 years ago as you can get.

I assure you it's not.

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a buff hunt about 3 weeks ago and had the meat processed and professionally wrapped and did give a lot of it away to friends. Another thing I'm looking into is finding a needy family out of work etc. thru my church that could use some excellent meat. just an idea.

Posts: 22 | Location: Carlsbad New Mexico | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
It's great meat. Just like a very lean beef.

Fill your freezer

Have your local butcher make some jerky for you.

Lots of friends want to try it, You can always give some of it away that way.

If you mean that ranch hunting is like it was 150 years ago = a herd standing in front of you and you pick your animal. Yeah it probably is.

The herd on the Henry Mountains in Utah are wild. If they see or smell you they are GONE. I've had friends wh said it was the hardest hunt they have ever been on. They spent 17 days straight hunting in order to just fill a cow tag. Of course that is a once in a life time draw hunt. You can't just go lay down a check and get a permit.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a fair chase Buffalo hunt in Nebraska, if you can walk and climb, it will tax you..YOu can donate the meat to the ranch, they church or the orphans home and the ranch will take care of that for you...You get the hide and horns and whatever meat you might want..The T bones are just like beef.

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote