Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy only units?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi folks,
Here's a question for the folks that have done this before, as I am just beginning, I know close to zilch!
Which states and which units in those states have hard to draw tags for trophy animals such as Mountain Goat, elk and moose. I've been researching for sheep tags and started thinking maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to get a tag for something else.
I've been looking to hunt elk and it seems that you either have to buy an expensive landowner's tag or hunt a private ranch which can get expensive also.
Right now I would rather try to draw a tag where I had a good chance at a quality animal and not draw a tag rather than hunt for just a soso animal. I figure if I'm going to spend the money to get there and do it, I might as well try to hunt something decent. Thanks. Joe

Posts: 185 | Location: ohio | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend that you come west a go hunting first and foremost. I'm a resident in Montana for 32 years. I've never drawn a moose tag of a big horn sheep tag. I did get one mountain goat tag. You might try online with Hunter Application Service out of Utah. They will help direct you to areas of interest in all the western states.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote