Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Shot
 Login/Join

posted
Let the debate begin whether or not this fellow should have taken this shot.
Sorry if it has been shown before.

http://break.com/index/best_shot_in_new_mexico.html

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've never seen this. I would never have taken that shot either. Just me.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Bunch of morons if ya ask me. Why would anyone who actually has even an ounce of respect for that animal take that shot??? The guy got plain lucky. Someone should have a talk with that fella Mad

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, while it is impossible to judge range looking at a video, that doesn't look like anything even remotely resembling 750 yards to me.

Second, Doubt I would take a shot like that, on a coyote, yes, on a game animal, no. But, even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.

Third, I thought that video was an ad for Peterbilt!

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't really agree with the ethics but.......
he got him, tagged him, and lucky or not, made one unbelievable shot.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mudstud:
First, while it is impossible to judge range looking at a video, that doesn't look like anything even remotely resembling 750 yards to me.

Second, Doubt I would take a shot like that, on a coyote, yes, on a game animal, no. But, even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.

Third, I thought that video was an ad for Peterbilt!

I guess I agree with your first two observations but where in the Hell did you come up with the third? Maybe an ad for Dodge diesel pick-ups but that sure ain't no Pete!

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We call folks who hunt like that around here slobs.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey:
Let the debate begin whether or not this fellow should have taken this shot.

http://break.com/index/best_shot_in_new_mexico.html

Sure, take the shot.*

*This assumes, of course, that the shooter has both a complete and utter disregard and disrespect for the animal.

Lame.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
That was just a lame attempt at humor! Big Grin

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Well let's see, he missed the standing broadside shot by what, 3ft. Then throws a hail marry & connects, yeah heck of a shot, and some people win the Mega Lotto too. thumbdown

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
In my humble opinion, sniping is not hunting -- not taking anything away from guys who can accurately shoot at great distances, it just ceases to be hunting for me beyond a certain range. Besides, stalking is half the fun! JMHO.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mudstud:
Jim,
That was just a lame attempt at humor! Big Grin

Oh OK. Big Grin I thought maybe you seen something that I missed. I've watched that stupid video half a dozen times trying to figure what the Hell I missed! Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sucks. The guy's just a slob hunter. A fine animal like that deserves a lot more respect.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I can't believe the guy has the gaull to say he made a quick stalk! Did you hear him? If a stalk means jumping out of the truck and walking over to the edge maybe!

If this were my ranch I'd not let them back, I'd let my friends know what I thought of them and thier ethics.

It's one thing to make a long, ranged, careful shot when you've been practicing at the range you take shots at. It's another to take a guess at the distance and just light one off. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a good shot to take for a "hunter".

I seriously question the distance as well...750-800 yards is a long, long, long way.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Doesnt look like 750 yards, especially if you listen to the sound of the shot and then the hit. I do believe its dumb luck, and I stress the DUMB part if you listen to them. I somewhat agree, that a very experienced shooter could take the shot. That guy however seemed absolutely amazed that he made it which tells me he is not that experienced.
This is the type of video that gives hunting a bad name. IMHO

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
Well let's see, he missed the standing broadside shot by what, 3ft. Then throws a hail marry & connects, yeah heck of a shot, and some people win the Mega Lotto too. thumbdown

Exactly!

Then at the end he goes.... Luckily I have been practicing with a 5mph crosswind. HA! Slob is right.

Also don't believe that was 750. Did anyone see a rangefinder?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They guy is definatly a slob...did you hear the audio while he's shooting?? Something to the effect that he was gonna shoot that F----ker?

No game animal I have ever shot was called that by me...not that I am any better than him, but part of the hunt does involve respect for the animal right?

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a freaking loser!!!

Talk about disrespect for the sport - shoots from the road and takes an irresponsible shot. I would have nothing to do with a bunch of slob/yahoo's like that...

That is disgusting....

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Is this WCW world of wrestling meets hunting.

Never 750 yds in a blue moon, possibly 350 if that,but after that amount of moonshime it may take .44 miles in their truck to get there.
The beast probably died laughing because if he cant hit it standing still the what chance is there of a planned hit when running.
Chances are there are another 100 gut shot beast roaming the planes for the 9 they took back to towm.
thumbdown thumbdown

Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Me thinks that this video may be where the term
"Bubba", with its negative connotation, may have derived.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
The shot was clearly a "hail Mary" He did make it, but that is no reason to justify it. It should never of been attempted.

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slob hunters suck.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarkH:

Chances are there are another 100 gut shot beast roaming the planes for the 9 they took back to towm.
thumbdown thumbdown

Mark

Yep! Nothing like editing to make schmucks look like heros.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To me it looks like about a 400 yard shot at best maybe even 500. I had a 25-06 a couple of them and they do not shoot flat enough to hold over an animal at 750 yards. That goat would have been out of the scope at that distance unless his rifle was sighted in for 400 or 500 yards to begin with. I would also like to say I have a 20x camera and when I filmed some Elk at 800 yards they looked about the size of that goat so take it for what it is worth.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Dakor, I agree with you on that distance. We have tons of video footage of antelope, deer, elk, etc., with high power lenses. I've also shot at life size antelope TARGETS at 700 yards.

Although there's no way to prove it either way, I am suspicious of the distance. Hunters like to embelish as much or more than fisherman. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, Doc, Doc: Surely you would not suggest that THOSE particular upstanding gentlemen in that video would even consider embelishing anything, now would you? Smiler

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Now Fellas, I'm sure they didn't stretch the distance any more than he lengthed his difficult "stalk". jumping Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
That ain't hunting, thats shooting. It ain't sniping because he missed the first time. This guy was just plain lucky nothing else. He has no or very little skill, and is too lazy to walk a little closer. He's a lazy slob at best, a giant asshole at worst. These kind of people piss me off to say the least.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1258 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of assholes.

FN

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that hunts most of his game animals from a very long distance. I don't do this but my pal only hunts this way. He is a very accomplished long range shooter and has never wounded and lost an animal. Most of his shots are in fact one shot kills. He has shot chucks at over 1500 yards and deer at over 1000 yards and elk at over (well he wouldn't tell me). Again, that is the way he hunts (?) now and is good enough to do it. I am not but there are people who can. I have been on a hunt with a retired Navy Seal and we came upon a chap throwing lead at a wounded elk at about 700 yards. His gun was smoking hot and he confessed that he couldn't hit or kill the animal laying wounded. Doug offered to kill the animal for the guy and proceeded to set up and one shot later the elk layed dead. Both the lead slinger and myself were highly impressed. Right after the shot, Doug raised up and proceeded to give the guy holy hell for doing something he wasn't good enough to do and then we left to let the guy ponder the errors of his ways. Doug was tough to be around the rest of the day. I can understand why. Although I don't do this, there are some that can and do. You must know your limitations.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Speechless"

please post these arseholes names so that we all know who they are!
Boys from the Bayou! Stay there!!!

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Pegleg, I think you are confusing shooting with hunting. Hunting is not a long range sport.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1258 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian- I agree!!!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
Doc, Doc, Doc: Surely you would not suggest that THOSE particular upstanding gentlemen in that video would even consider embelishing anything, now would you? Smiler

uhhhh, yep, I shur woood.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
Pegleg, I think you are confusing shooting with hunting. Hunting is not a long range sport.

Well, I'm not one to stir (stir the pot), but exactly where do we draw the line on a hunt vs. a shoot? Doesn't this kind of go back to "who's a real hunter?" ie., a guy with a ML may talk trash about centerfire hunting. A flintlock user might badger and inline user. Bowhunters can call any lead projectile slinger "not really hunting." And those who hunt with recurves and longbows usually despise compounds and crossbows.

Just curious.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Where I draw the line depends on varying factors. These bozos cross way over my line. They get out of the truck and stalk the prarie goat all of about 5 paces. I'm sure they were tired from that long walk. Around here (north Texas) we call that practice "road hunting".

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's like "How long is a piece of string?" You must know your limitations. I was on an Lope hunt one year when a buddy and myself came upon a gentleman set up on a landing overlooking a water hole some distance away. We ask several questions concerning his equipment and range finding stuff when low and behold an animal came to the water-hole. Well about thirty seconds later the fellow shot and sure enough he nailed the Lope. About six hundred yards. Although a good shot we had little to say. Just moved on as the guy started packing up his gear. Seemed like he had everything under control. Just not for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone said that shot would be ok on a coyote. I don't think so. The main difference between the coyote and the antelope as far as shooting goes is, you likely won't eat the coyote. Our sport involves killing. If we are to kill then even the coyote derserves the best shot we can make. I would allow that that would be ok on a praire dog or sage rat. But then any hit kill's and a miss by a couple inches, misses the animal completely. I know a couple web site's where we'd really catch hell for these view's. Bless every one of you that feels our victims deserve better than that.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote