New
Find
Notify
Tools

NE whitetail trip
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm flying into Rapid City, SD on Thurs. for a whitetail hunting trip to NE. I'll be using a muzzleloader and need to know the name of a good gun shop in Rapid City to purchase some 209 primers and 777 pellets. I'm not going to try and transport them in my luggage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bull1 Cool

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Jack First Gun Shop is located in Rapid City.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jacks First Gun Shop is an excellent shop. They also have a Scheels at the mall there in Rapid City. Prices will be comparable.

There is a gun dealer/smith in downtown Chadron, NE that may have what you need, but IIRC he was fairly pricey and usually is the middle man for orders and FFL deliveries.

Give one of them a call and they will confirm that they have what you need. They don't always have 777 in stock at Scheels.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to DMB and MThuntr,

As I will be staying overnight in Rapid City, I'll check out Jack's First Gun Shop. Sounds exactlly like what I need.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last I knew Jack First discontinued his retail store and is only do the parts/smithing end of the business.

I would highly suggest First Stop Guns located at 701 Main St. downtown Rapid City. (605)341-5211. They are one of the best gunshops in the area.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks SDhunter.

Bull1

one of us
posted Hide Post
I returned from NE on the 13th. I was able to get what I needed in the way of muzzle loader supplies at First Guns. Great store and I even visited it again before I left to fly home.

Anyway the trip to NE was successful and I took a nice 4-point mulie at 160 yards with open sights. That was neat. I haven't used open sights in many years but everything went well. I used 150 gr. of Triple-7 (pellets) pushing a TC Shockwave Easy Glide sabot in a TC Encore Pro Hunter. The combination worked good.

Thanks for the help.

Bull1 Big Grin