Find
Notify
Tools

What a THRILL!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
I managed to sneak out from work early yesterday afternoon to chase a few ruffed grouse around. After bagging a few, I came down a hill, only to see a cougar bounding away from the dog and I, about 75 yards away.

This was a BIG BOY. The first time I've ever seen a cougar in the wild, and I could just feel the power of that animal. Awesome, absolutely thrilling. If the season had been open.......

The sobering part is that I took the family hiking in that part of the world a couple of weeks ago! I'm going to have to start carrying a sidearm, I think. Those 9 year olds must look like pretty easy pickin's to a mature tom.....

The guy that is running his cattle there (which were 200 yards away, at most) probably will be missing a few when he rounds them up at the end of the month! FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch,
Can you get a cat tag in Idaho over the counter?
If so Good Luck this fall!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The same thing is going on over here Dutch in the South Hills. You can't hardly take walk any more without seeing a bunch of cat sign. I saw one about a year ago within a half mile of Hagerman. It is no wonder the deer are having a rough go.
I never go out and about any more without a heavy handgun. You just never know what is going to happen with that many cats around.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
Dutch:

You are indeed fortunate. I've never seen one in 34 years of hunting, fishing, backpacking etc.
I bet it gave you a chill and a thrill!!

I hike and run on an old/closed road that eventually runs into some deep wilderness. I've seen pug marks but never a cat. FWIW you probably look like easy pickin's too. A cat killed an adult jogger here in Ca. a few years ago. I don't think it had too much trouble.

JimF

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch, just take a pocketknife. That's all you need to kill those cats. [Big Grin]

Check out this link:

http://phorum.onramp.ca/excalibur/read.php?f=5&i=14961&t=14961

Mike

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Red, that fellow is more man than I am...... As a defensive weapon, though, a 20 ga with #6 birdshot is a better choice, methinks! Especially when inserted into the cat's mouth!!!!! Funny though, I felt no fear at all, just pure awe. Of course, he was running away in a big hurry.

Cougars are hunted enough around here that they still have a lot of respect for people, and at 6'5", I'm not the smallest of the bunch, either. Not that he couldn't, if he wanted too, of course.

I have a tag in my pocket (and for bear). It's less than $20, and I don't think I'd ever get over it if I had the chance at a fair chase cougar without a tag in my pocket. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of partsman
posted Hide Post
He was not just more man, he was CANADIAN!

Posts: 171 | Location: Poco , B.C. Canada | Registered: 11 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dutch,

I saw one about 30 miles west of Cheyenne Wyoming. About 10 years ago I was a counselor at a Church Camp full of about 100 kids ages 9-17. We were all at our morning chapel service and my buddy and I were sitting near the side window by the asphalt parking lot. My buddy, with a huge grin on his face, nudges me during church and motions for me to look over. I look out the window to see a big old cat warming himself on the black asphalt. He was just flipping his tail around as though wondering when one those little kids might wander out of chapel! MMMM Greek food! [Big Grin] I loved it!

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote