Notify
Tools

Gator hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dabloobana
posted
Dear friends,

I am going to Florida to hunt gators next week.
This is my first gator hunt.

Is there something i should know?
Any tips?

Thanks

Born to hunt, forced to work.

Posts: 36 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 15 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You hunting private land or public? Are you going with a licensed trapper as a "helper" or did you pull tags in the statewide lottery? You actual hunt will depend on the above since the regulations are different for both.

I did a day with a licensed trapper a few years ago. It was really intersting. We pulled 3 up on the bank that day. One was about 6'6", one was right at 7' and one was just a whisker shy of 9'. We took them on handlines with problem gator permits. It was quite a bit of work, but fun. I kept the skull of the 9' and had it bleached out and mounted on a walnut plaque. Looks cool in the trophy room.

You will probably be wet and muddy, tired and skeeter bit by the time you're done. It's a different type of experience and worth doing at least once.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
I took one last Aug. in Florida and it was one of the best hunt I have been on. Went with a licensed trapper and saw alot of gators and I took a 10 ft gator. Have a open mind--they will treat you like a normal guy--no special treatment--you want water, bring your own,etc..Bring bug dope,a good camera,your weapon or use theirs,long pants,a sharp knife to skin it out and a small cooler to bring home the tail steaks-they are good-if cooked right.And a great attitude--- I brought the family and they went to the tourist items and i went gator hunting--great time.And then the life skin was shipped to me a week later , so I could enjoy Florida and not worry about the skin..........Great time. dancing

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there something i should know?
Any tips?

Don't drink the water, and don't pick up any snakes! Big Grin

Have a great trip! tu2

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Three of my buddies and I did a DIY gator hunt in 2009. As mentioned above it depends greatly on if you are being guided, or not. If not being guided, I might be able to give you a couple pointers we learned. If guided, take your bug spray, an open mind, and enjoy the hunt, it is definately different!!!

Good luck!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Luck!
If youve never been on a airboat before, its quite the adventure
I am doing Rifle hunt for a trophy gator next feb. Cant wait.
Be Safe.
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dabloobana
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot guys.

Its a guided hunt with a rifle.
I found the outfitter via the internet.

Thanks for all your good wishes.
Does bug spray some in strengths/ can someone suggest a good one?
thanks

Born to hunt, forced to work.

Posts: 36 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 15 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dabloobana:
Thanks a lot guys.

Its a guided hunt with a rifle.
I found the outfitter via the internet.

Thanks for all your good wishes.
Does bug spray some in strengths/ can someone suggest a good one?
thanks

If you can use a rifle then it is a private land hunt. Cant use rifles on public land. Some of those private places have some huge lizards. Make sure you post a pic when you're done. I'd like to see what you get.

Anything with 100% DEET will work. They also sell this littel battery powered gizmo that you can hook on your belt. My wife has one and says it really works well.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote