THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Which states require big game lotteries for RESIDENTS??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which states require big game lotteries for RESIDENTS??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Please let me know which do.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Well, all of the states that have Sheep do. Many of them do for special areas, or special hunts.

All states out west have some sort of resident lottery. Even Texas has a lottery for Sheep, Aligator, Deer etc.

I believe all states have some form of drawings for certain species/areas. In some states it is more common than others.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
In BC, all big game animals except grizzly and bison have an open season in various parts of the province.

Grizzly and Bison are the only ones that you HAVE to enter a LEH to get a tag for.

There is also special LEH tags, that permit you to hunt under special circumstances, for instance you can hunt 3/4 curl bighorns and everyone else has to hold out for a full curl, etc...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have a lotterie for bears in Wis takes on the avg of 4 years to get a tag. You get a point every year you apply most of the time you get a tag in 4 years.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyoming

Posts: 83 | Location: Cody, Wy. | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alberta sells over the counter rifle tags for all species except for Grizzly, Mountain Goat and Pronghorn (from memory). But you're limited in the areas where these tags are valid. If you want a certain species in a certain area, you may end up in a drawing process.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Oklahoma has once in a lifetime hunts for Elk and Pronghorn.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all that replied. I was in a bit of a rush when I penned the topic, so let me clarify.

I know that just about every state has a draw for big game animals in short supply, such as the Kansas elk tags and "any deer" (needed for mulies) tags. I also understand that most western states will have some units where residents need to draw.

What I really want to know is which states require residents to enter a lottery for even common big game animals like white tail deer, or have draw requirements through MOST of their game management units.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know that it's a lottery, indeed I must say it isn't, but all big game and deer tags are by drawing here in NV. I may be mistaken, but I believe CO is all by draw now, although some are near gaurantees. The only state that I personally know of that actually has a lottery for tags is Maine for moose, but there may be others.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arts:
Don't know that it's a lottery, indeed I must say it isn't, but all big game and deer tags are by drawing here in NV. I may be mistaken, but I believe CO is all by draw now, although some are near gaurantees. The only state that I personally know of that actually has a lottery for tags is Maine for moose, but there may be others.

A drawing and a lottery are the same thing. You send in an application and money, and you may or may not get the tag (you get your money back if you don't draw).

In Kansas, pronghorn, elk, and mule deer are by lottery. Everything else, you pay the money and get the tag over the counter.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
A few parts of NM are still over the counter for deer. Everything else is lottery/drawing, unless you got the cash to buy a landowner tag. That's another scam they got going here in NM. Too bad it's not like CO where at least the landowners have to demonstrate they are improving the land to get the tags. Here they just dole 'em out.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Colorado now has a drawing for all antelope and mule deer tags. Many bull elk tags are available over the counter. Went yesterday and bought a cow elk tag over the counter for a specific area. First time for that!

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, California, South Dakota, North Dakota, permits are all on draw. Idaho, New Mexico, have numerous units that are by draw only. I believe Washington and Oregon have a tight draw also, I am unaware of any Over the Counter tags.

So Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming are about the only states that offer good numbers of tags to Resident hunters without having to draw. Nonresidents still have to draw in WY and MT.

Posts: 99 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a big deal, Orion1, but I always considered a lottery to be a situation where one purchases chance for a drawing, such as the Maine moose lottery. Webster seems to think along the same lines.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montana does for Moose, Sheep, MTN Goat, state wide, and Antelope, and anterless mule deer in other regions of the state.

Hudge

one of us
posted Hide Post
Orion,
Michigan has lotteries for antlerless deer tags, bear permits, elk permits, and turkey tags.
Good shooting!!!
Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote