New
Find
Notify
Tools

What feed in game feeders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what feed do you use in your game feeders for deer, I would like to use pelletized sugar beet, but I am unsure if there is is a specific feeder you would have to use for pellets.
Ideally I would like to use what we call pig nuts,about the same size as a 45 slug,again not sure if these feeders are oreintated towards grain.
Any info much appreciated.

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Our club in southern Arkansas uses corn in the feeders.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Griff,

You would need a protein feeder for your application. Just google protein feeders and you will get all the info you need. Here is a link to one of our local outfits that will give you a look at several different types.

Feeder Link-Click Here

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have have one feeder on the lease that is set up to feed goat pellets.
It is a 55 gal drum with a toilet flange on the bottom and a sanitary tee with 2 1/2 feet of pvc on the bottom ,with a cap cut in two to let the critters get to the pellets.
This didn't cost much to put together.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies, perhaps I should of phrased the question differently.
The problem we have is that there is hundreds of acres of Barley/Wheat/rape/linseed around.
The other problem is that there are literally hundreds of Fallow deer, which if left to a help yourself feeder would soon decimate the entire contents of the feeder.I am looking to haul a feeder with a spinner on it up a tree to give it wide coverage, this will only then allow feeding at certain times.
Corn in a different area would be fine, but in this case no, so I need a game feeder (electric) that will spin nuts/pellets out..

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote