Find
Notify
Tools

argentina red deer bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hello there.

i am travelling to hunt red deer to argentinian patagonia ( animal weight over 400 lb.), have different bullets in mind for a 7 rm.
I�d like to have your opinions or better yet experiences with the following bullets in this caliber:

160 nosler partition

160 nosler accubond

175 nosler partition

thanks .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Either will work, choose whatever shoots best in your rifle or whatever takes your fancy. I personally like the 160 grs Nosler Part, but no flies on the other ones either. The AccuBond might give you slightly lower penetration numbers when tested in media, but they'll most likely penetrate a red stag, so who cares? It really seems a case of six of one or half a dozen of the other...
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

hello there.

i am travelling to hunt red deer to argentinian patagonia ( animal weight over 400 lb.),...thanks .

Hey, sorry i can�t help you with the bullet question, i do have the 165grs Nosler PT loaded in my .30-06 but -up to now- had not a chance to "test" them. Sorry

But can you give me some info about hunting in Argentina?
I don�t know when you going to hunt ( i hope you do it in the rut!! it�s THE majestic thing in the world,if you never heared it yet..you won�t imagine how sensationell the red deer rut is,..believe me!!!!)and how many time is left to answer. MAybe you know more, wehen you are back!,
BTW you have to promise me to write an Article here in the board with lots of nice pics (and maybe pigs too )!

And please tell me if i was right iin what i have telled u about the red deer rut!

Weidmannsheil to you and hope to hear of u soon

Konst_

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
alg,

I too think any of the bullets in question would be fine as most Reds taken in the UK are shot with fairly standard bullets in .243 .308 and .270 class rifles.

If the 160grn NP groups well in your rifle, I would go for that one...if the hunting might involve shooting at shorter distances, the 175grn might be a better choice but in reality, I think the differences will be minimal...

regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Konst: feel free to e mail me if you want more details about hunting Argentina. Regarding the bullet question, get the heavier weight. Red stags are somewhat tenacious animals.
For a general vision on Argentina visit wwww.cazarenargentina.com. or other hunting pages.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used 160 grain Noslers for the Red Deer I shot a few years ago. Range was about 50 M. The bullet went through the front shoulder and out the rib cage on the other side. Deer ran 50 and dropped. My rifle is very accurate with the 160 that is why I use them. I've also used 175 grain Grand Slam bullets, they also penetrate completly. Good Luck

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I have also shot red deer in europe, but those in argentina are huge with weigths over 350 or 400 lb. That�s why I am going for the poartitions or similar bullets.

I think I�ll use the 160.

The hunt is to take place by the end of march-beginning april.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey �lg,
hope youz will provide us with a nice little story and some nice pic�s too when you are back from your Trip!
And please tell us how the bullet does perform.

Wish u a happy Hunting and come back in one piece!

Cheers
Konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use .30 cal. partitions on elk.Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
alg,

I have used 7mm 140 grain Partitions on Elk here in Montana. They work fine with a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps. My last bull was over 500 lbs and took one well placed shot before dropping on the spot. I'm sure that the 140, 150, and 160 grain Partition will all work well for you. See which one shoots best in your rifle and have a great time. Years ago i spent a month in Argentina trout fishing. It was one of the great adventures of my life. I didn't want to leave when the time came. It reminded me of what Montana must have been like 50 years ago. Have a great time and enjoy some of the fantastic red wine from the Mendoza area. Consider bringing a fly rod too!!!

Steve

Posts: 60 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote