Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Black Bear hunt - spring or fall
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

In our area in southwestern Manitoba around Riding Mountain National Park,the hides are usually good till the first of June. After that they can be rubbed. The best time to hunt here is from the middle of May to the first week in June. The hair is longer in the spring but thicker in the fall. In my opinion I prefer the fall hides. It is rare that you get a bad hide in fall. The best time to hunt here in the fall are the last two weeks in August. As soon as the acorns fall the bear slow down on the baits. This last spring we got two really big bear. One weighing( estimate) 650 lbs and the other 505 lbs. Both of these hides were in good shape and they were both got in the first week of June. Hope this is of some help.

Well you are confirming my choice. I have a bear hunt booked for this fall in Manitoba. I will be there the last week of August through the 1st week of September. I have heard the stories of bear up there approaching 500+ which is one of the reasons I choose the area. Not sure where in Manitoba you are located, but I will be with a guide about 75 miles north of Winipeg.

I have been hunting black bear for a while, over 25 years. I am looking forward to this hunt, as I hope to get a very large bear.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Pete
We are situated 150 miles north west of Winnipeg on the edge of Riding Mountain National Park. A group of hunters have booked all my hunts for 10 years of which they have 4 years left. Their was a bear that was run into by a car a few years ago, around where your going that weighed 886 lbs. We get a few bear every year that weigh over 500 lbs. They did studies on the bear in Riding Mountain National a number of years ago and collared and weighed two bear that weighed over 850 lbs in fall. In the spring they weighed around 650 lbs. If your interested I will e-mail you a picture of the one we estimaited at 650 lbs that we got this spring. Dave

Posts: 39 | Location: Riding Mountain, Manitoba,Canada | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In our area in southwestern Manitoba around Riding Mountain National Park,the hides are usually good till the first of June. After that they can be rubbed. The best time to hunt here is from the middle of May to the first week in June. The hair is longer in the spring but thicker in the fall. In my opinion I prefer the fall hides. It is rare that you get a bad hide in fall. The best time to hunt here in the fall are the last two weeks in August. As soon as the acorns fall the bear slow down on the baits. This last spring we got two really big bear. One weighing( estimate) 650 lbs and the other 505 lbs. Both of these hides were in good shape and they were both got in the first week of June. Hope this is of some help.

Posts: 39 | Location: Riding Mountain, Manitoba,Canada | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Sent a pm.

Pete