THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Colorado Moose drawing results are out

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Moose drawing results are out
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Colorado Moose drawing results are out and I didn't draw a Moose tag.
I've been applying since 1986 and only missed one year in all that time and that was before preference points were given out, I now have 3 points and 9 weighted points (max points).
My brother was unsuccessful as well and has 3 and 9.
Anybody out there draw a Moose?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well you know my story now. 3 and 2 after this year almost hated to have you check for me last night. Guess that means I'll just spend more time chasing elk!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just shows how out of touch I am, I wasn't aware you guys had a Moose season... Big Grin
I thought all you had was Elk!!!! And, lots of them.. dancing

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now it is a 1 time tag for Bulls, and I think you can hunt as many cows as you want. Takes a minimum of 3 points to draw either tag, after 3 you get that weighted point. Very few non-resident tags available for Moose. Very expensive as well for a non-resident.

We still have lots of elk though! beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
No moose tag for me this year. I've now got 3+9 weighted points. But, I'm still waiting to hear if I got it for NH. My wife is from up that way, so I also put in for both.

With the drawings for sheep, goat and moose out of the way, that translates into no tags for me this year. Everything else was just for preference points.

I'm also in the drawing for 2 reduced price doe/fawn antelope tags in Wy, so that will probably be the extent of my western huntinf this fall. I'll take at least 1 whitetail here in Fl too.

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dancing

Nailed it. Silver Spur RFW unit. Either-sex. One of one.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
plainview that is amazing!
Very tough tag to draw, odds are terrible but the place has some big Bulls, you are one lucky dog.
The ranch foreman is a great guy to talk with very helpful and they have taken some enormous Bulls off that place you are in for one heck of a season!
Congratulations and good luck to you. clap

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey plainview just to get the crowd excited tell us all how many points and weighted points you had and how many years before that (before points) you've been trying to draw.

one of us
posted Hide Post
3+6, so I guess that means, counting this year, 10 apps.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
You have me confused on your draw. Didn't think moose was either sex or ranching for wildlife. But good luck on the hunt.

I've been applying since Day 1----no tag yet. I've got 3 plus 9 weighted points, after this year. CB

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Bob
There is one Ranching for Wildlife area for Moose and that is the Silver Spur Ranch. They give out Either sex tags or Cow tags for that ranch so if you want a Bull the either sex tag is the option. I tried to draw that tag for several years but when I compared the odds they were worse than the general Moose areas so I quit that and went back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the odds aren't that all that bad. There were 375 weighted applicants for two either-sex licenses on the Silver Spur.

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I see it in the proclamation. Never paid that much attention before-----I apply for unit 6 maybe next year. CB

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Not trying to argue plainview but those are pretty bad odds, they are actually the worst odds to draw a Moose tag in Colorado, lucky you though you got the tag.
Your unit is 188 to 1 odds of drawing a tag most other units seem to range from 10 to 1 to 60 to 1 odds for a tag.
Thats why I quit trying for the Silver Spur and by doing so I boosted my odds somewhere between 3 and 18 times. All the good its done me I'm still waiting since 1986 for a Colorado Moose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It won't make you feel any better but I never expected to draw that tag either. I was just going through the yearly drill. The license I REALLY wanted was for bighorn sheep in the Purgatoirie Canyon. Now if I could just get it to rain I'd finish spring planting and life would be almost perfect...... Wink

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Oh believe me I am happy for you that is one hell of a tag!
I must admit I am jealous but not in a spiteful or mean way.
I have been plenty lucky at times with some tags I've drawn in the past but my lucky streak has been thin lately.
I have my heart set on a Desert Sheep but no luck there I've applied for that since I killed my Bighorn in 1996 but on the want list right up there with the Desert Sheep is the Colorado Moose.
I planted last couple weeks and it looks like rain today so I may be a happy hay farmer!
Congratulations on drawing a really difficult tag.
Good luck on your hunt!