Tools

Speer Deep Shock / Hornady SST
 Login/Join

<B T Rippie>
posted
Which bullet is best for Whitetail deer in 30/06 & .270

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that bullet selection is very critical on deer within reason and both should be just fine but if I had to venture a guess I'd go for the deep shock as it is one of the best non premium bullets I have used....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, what animals were they used on?
Can you tell us about wound channels/penetration? The pictures I've seen in Federal Literature shows they don't seem to expand as much as many bullets.

<Bill>
posted
Found this:

Deep-Shok� Rifle Bullets
In a joint development effort, Federal Cartridge� and Speer have brought the high-tech Deep-Shok rifle bullet to reloaders. Deep-Shok was engineered to have a tough and unique jacket design. Speer was called upon to add their exclusive Hot-Cor� process to ensure high retained weights.

The Deep-Shok jacket is like no other. Its base features a solid boat tail and the shank section is thick for deep penetration. The core and jacket are mechanically locked together to prevent separation. The jacket is tapered for reliable expansion; five heavy flutes define the expansion pattern and allow a large, supported mushroom.

Speer�s Hot-Cor process pours a molten lead core � the same ternary alloy used in Speer�s Grand Slam� premium big game bullets. This means no oxide layers between core and jacket that could cause slip-page and destroy the bullet�s integrity.

Deep-Shok bullets are boat tail soft point designs for flat shooting and high retained velocity

F E AT U R E S & B E N E F I T S
� Compound-profile, fluted jacket
� Reliable, controlled expansion over a wide range of hunting conditions
� Boat Tail design
�Higher ballistic coefficient for better energy retention at long range
� Hot-Cor
� Eliminates oxide layers that lead to core slippage
� Large heel lock
�Mechanically locks the core to the jacket

------------------
www.rifleshooter.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to deer almost anything well work just fine these bullets well kill any deer out there as long as you do your part.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote