Find
Notify
Tools

35 whelen,9.3x62 and BIG Bears
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted
Anyone actually taken a big brown with either of these? Hopefully in my distant future I'll get a chance. I would like to hear some accounts and how they went. Bullets used that sort of thing. cheers

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't hunted brown bears but if I did either one of those calibers would do just fine IMO.

With the 35 Whelen a good 250g bullet would work just fine. With the 9.3 you could use an even heavier bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am hardly an expert as I have killed two grizzly's (one an 8'8" Alberta brute). My weapon was on both occasions a Sako 75 in 338 win mag shooting Nosler 210 partitions. Performance was excellent. The 35 Whelen and the very similar European round you mention are first class big bear guns in my opinion. I can also tell you that if and when you get a chance on a large bear you will wish you had a 45 Whelan in your hands as it is definitely an adrenaline moment. Good Luck!

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have shot black bears, but no grizz with the 9.3x62. With a warm loaded 286 North Fork or Nosler at just under 2500, there is no doubt it will flatten one. The difference between this load and a 300 grain .375 H&H factory ammo is 14 grains of bullet weight, nothing more. This makes it a sure bear killer.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
I have a 35 whelen in the remington CDL and you hear all the talk about using a 338 win.mag. and up. Well I was wondering how these rifles really work on the big bears. It's what I would take but real experience would be good to hear about. A 270 gr. north fork out of the whelen should put one down in short order. It'll darn sure be awhile before I get firsthand experience. I still might get some 270 gr. bullets and see if that slow twist will stablize them. If it doesn't my rifle shoots 225 gr. TSX's real good. bwest I'm sure it is a rush and I was thinkin maybe a sack full of hand grenades would be good! BOOM

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote