Find
Notify
Tools

How's the rut going in your area?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
Renee and I headed out to look for rutting mule deer this morning. I lost count, but before noon we saw over 100 deer and 20 or so nice bucks.

The high-lights were getting too close to a 5x6(6 yards!) and watching a 26" 5x4 running off several smaller bucks.

Renee said that the bucks were, "just completely dumb when they're looking for girlfriends!" I replied that they are just like teenage boys(thank God Renee is only 8!)

What are you guys seeing in your areas?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Renee and I headed out to look for rutting mule deer this morning. I lost count, but before noon we saw over 100 deer and 20 or so nice bucks.

The high-lights were getting too close to a 5x6(6 yards!) and watching a 26" 5x4 running off several smaller bucks.

Renee said that the bucks were, "just completely dumb when they're looking for girlfriends!" I replied that they are just like teenage boys(thank God Renee is only 8!)

What are you guys seeing in your areas?

Buck ran across 6 lane road in Orlando at 4 pm. Only during the rut.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
full swing here

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Saturday morning, my 8 yr old son and I hunted. We had a good 8 pt (about 115") run a doe by us 3 times. He had his nose to the ground the entire time and paid no attention to my grunt call or whistle. At one point he was 15 yards away trotting along right in front of us from our left to right. I was trying to get him to stop so my boy could should him but he had love on his brain. Didn't even look up when I hollered "Hey"

Sunday morning, I hunted a tower stand on a power line with both my sons (11 & 8). We had a 10pt an 8pt and a spike all come out together. Unfortunately, the 10pt was on our clubs let him grow list, the 8pt was young so we just got to watch them. They mingled around for a good 5 or 10 minutes then moved on into the woods. Strange to see 3 bucks together when the rut should be in full swing. No posturing or aggression towards each other and very at ease.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just took off here. I saw more deer on Monday than I had seen the whole season here in Illinois. Also bucks dead on the side of the road.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mid to lat4 Nov. is the beginning in So. Idaho, same in the Texas Hill Country on the ranch I hunted,they were in pre rut however, but its been late this year due to warm weather I suspect. I believe its been late in Idaho also, but season is set up so as we don't hunt during the rut in So. Idaho and that's a good thing.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote