Find
Notify
Tools

Range finder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys

I am obviously somewhat behind the times, but I just found out Swarovski are in the rangefinder business. Does anyone have a report on the Laser Guide 8 x 30?

Thanks

Fergus

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that the new Swarovski range finder is one fine piece of equipment.

I do not own one but have seen and used three now.

My dad and my friend each have one and we took them to New Mexico this fall on an antelope hunt. We were all amazed at how far they would pick up and range an antelope out there in that open country. While my Bushnell 800 Compact would read antelope at 400 or so, that was about it. The Swarovski read antelope well over 1000 yards. I even remember the guide borrowing Ed's and getting a reading on an antelope at 1500 yards! Man, that is amazing!

My dad took his with him on a marmot hunting trip with a buddy of his. This guy has the Bushnell 1000 and thinks highly of it. Dad showed him the Swarovski. His immediate remarks were to the effect that it is not so great. A little while later he commented "I guess this makes these other rangefinders obsolete, doesn't it?".

A fellow at work has the Swarovski and he took it to Colorado where he used it on a deer and elk hunt. He was very impressed.

Besides amazing ranging capability, the darned thing has good optics. The images are so clear and detailed, but what else would you expect from Swarovski.

The only reason I do not have one yet is the price tag, but maybe one of these days.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Something else for me to spend my money on Eeker

Fergus

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of all the different range finders out there which is the most accurate? Confused Lawdog
wave

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I do like my Leica, I don't know how accurate iot is but I know it is close enough.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
btt,

I would like more people to give there opinions on range finders and whats best or best value.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a bushnell 1000 its ok. My buddys leica is much better if the swarovski is better then that is well be one hell of a unit.

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
btt

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog_Gary & Fergus_Bailey: A couple of years back my friend and I "measured" off a Rifle range for our own use. We had a 100' steel tape and carefully measured off and marked the range from 100 yards to 1,000 yards. We placed steel stakes at every 100 yard increment. I parked my VarmintMobile right adjacent (above) to the "0" yard stake (our firing point) and took Laser "readings" on it.
I had along on this venture my Leica 800 Laser Rangefinder! (the 800 model designation relates to being able to measure 800 meters or 880 yards by the way)
Yep out to and including the 800 yard stake the Leica was used at every increment and was either RIGHT ON or +/- 1 yard at each and every incremental stake!
I was amazed and very impressed!
The Leica 800 is VERY accurate and repeatable (its also compact and very lightweight!).
I highly recommend the Leica after having used it EXTENSIVELY now for several years worth of year round Varmint and Big Game Hunting!
I have not used the Swarovski as yet.
Good luck with whichever you all choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have looked through the Swarovski and it is very clear, and I am a big Swaro fan, but it is a monocular, not a binocular. I don't even know what the end difference would be if it was a bino, but the Leica uses the LRF 1200 embedded in it basically, and is optically excellent. I had the oppurtunity to hunt with a partner who had one, and it was great. I am going to take one more look at the Swaro, but based on a great experience afield, I think I am going to buy the Leica bino's. I have a Leica lrf 1200, but it is a hell of a lot more efficient to have that rangefinder built into your bino's, that's for sure!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a leica i don't find it any better than my friends bushnell and the bushnell is a little
handier but somewhat slower

Posts: 136 | Location: s.e. bc | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:
I do like my Leica, I don't know how accurate iot is but I know it is close enough.

I have the Leica 1200LRF Scan. It's a wonderful rangefinder, and I paid nearly one-half of what I would have paid for the Swaro.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't even consider the Nikons or the cheaper Bushnells. They won't pick up a target past 300 yds unless you rest them on a rigid rest and hold your breath. I have a Nikon that is supoosed to be a 600 yd and 250 is the limit of practical use.
The Leicas and other higher end makes do at least measure out to the range they claim. My Leica is a little tempermental though (slow). I have an old Bushnell that does a better job out to 500 yds.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I have a chance to buy an old Leica 800 at a good price.. This one lacks the scan function. Is that important? This will be my first range finder so I don`t have anything to compare with..
Have looked at the new big Leica binocular with range finder. It`s great, but expensive.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have got the leica 1200 and cannot ask for more , i have a bushnell before this and its sacralige to even compare the two
daniel

Posts: 1487 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
you might also get on the longrange hunting board and search their answers on rangefinders.
I bought a bushnell Elite 1500. It's a monocular but has done well for me so far. If you like the bino approach you might look at the burris model 1500's for around $550-600.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where are you finding the Swarovski range finder? I have been through their web site and can find nothing about them? Confused Lawdog
wave

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote