New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outfitter Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A few buds of mine and I are considering going on a guided hunt, nothing so exotic as S. Africa or even western USA, but rather Whitetail from horseback in northern Tennessee.
What questions should I ask the outfitter when inquiring for information? Having never considered it before I really have no idea what to ask.

thanks,

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being an outfitter, here's what I figure marks the well prepared prospect:
1. Can you provide a list of hunters for past two years with contact info?
2. What is your success rate on "opportunity to shoot"?
3. At what distance is most game taken, and under what circumstances?
4. What are the hunting times, ....morning and evenings, ....all day?
5. How many hunters in the immediate area?
6. What are the facilities provided and quality of food, including lunches?
7. What standard do you have for guides, and how long have they been with you?
8. If game is taken, who handles trophy preparation and butchering, and to what extent?
9. How long have you been in business, and has it always been under the same name?
10. Are deposits insured or held in trust?

With answers to the above, start calling at least 3 past hunters. If you like what they say and it's uniform, book!

~Arctic~

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Where are you going to hunt?
Camp and hunt, or ride looking for deer?

LouisB

Posts: 4259 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Along this same line. We are considering using Coalcreek Outfitters of Crested Butte, CO next year for an elk maybe combo hunt. Anybody had experience with them? Good, bad, indifferent. Opinions are just that, but we are looking for someone who has hooked up with these guys to at least get a feel for how they stack up. Experience goes a long ways.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am terribly puzzled by why anyone would think it was necesary or practical to hunt whitetail horseback in Tennesee.We hunt elk and sometimes muleys horseback but only because they are in remote areas of the mountains that require you to walk or ride long distances to get where the game is.As far as I am concerned unless you have really broke horses and were an experienced rider a horse would be a hindarance to a productive hunt.w/regards

[ 04-17-2003, 04:56: Message edited by: gophershooter ]

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, good set of questions...

Gopher, looks like they horseback to the camp, not actually shoot from horseback. I don't have any details yet. This is purely preliminary.

good shooting,

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote