THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    My 09' Oklahoma buck in NRA's American Hunter this month

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 09' Oklahoma buck in NRA's American Hunter this month
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted
Hey Guys,

For those of you that get the NRA's "American Hunter" magazine...An article featuring my 2009 16pt Oklahoma non-typical is in this month’s issue. The American Hunter website is also currently featuring the article.

JC

Read more:
http://www.americanhunter.org/..._campaign=HomeTrack1

quote:

By Mike Hanback, Field Editor

New Jersey hunter Jeff Herrmann's mainframe 10-point had a bonus beam that was 12 inches long. The rack, scored as a 16-point non-typical, went 171 5/8 net.

-----------
New Jersey hunter Jeff Herrmann had shot a lot of deer in his day, but he’d never killed a trophy-class buck. Last year he decided: I’m going wherever it takes to finally get a big one.

Jeff wasn’t looking for a full-service outfitter with a fancy lodge. He just wanted to hunt good ground in a state with big-buck potential. Chats on one of his favorite hunting forums led him to an Oklahoma landowner who was looking to book just a few hunters on his working cattle ranch. Jeff did some research. He mapped out the ranch and studied the November hunt dates. He called the rancher back and set up the hunt.

Jeff hopped a plane to Oklahoma City, drove three hours and arrived at the ranch. Paradise! He’d be staying in a cool guesthouse in the middle of 6,000 acres. Best of all, the only other hunter would be hunting the ranch later during the rifle season.

Jeff scouted and hiked and saw a ton of deer. On the second morning he spotted a buck he knew to be a very nice 10-point. The shot was 197 yards with his .280 Ack. Imp. Piece of cake for Jeff, who shoots his guns a lot throughout the year. The buck buckled and ran 50 yards.

“I was absolutely amazed when I walked up to him,” said Jeff. “I knew he was a nice one, but he had three beams.” The mainframe 10-point’s bonus beam was 12 inches long. The rack, scored as a 16-point non-typical, went 171 5/8 net.

Lessons Learned

-Visit websites and forums and network with other serious deer hunters across the country. It is buyer beware, but if you do your homework and follow up with solid research you can find a dream hunt online. At least it can be a good place to start.

-A private ranch hunt like Jeff found semi-guided with a place to stay and access to prime land with little pressure offers some of the best deer hunting in the country, and at an affordable price. Be on the lookout for such an opportunity.

-Jeff shoots and tests guns and loads throughout the year, so when that Okie buck stepped out at 200 yards it was lights out. If you’re headed to open country, shoot steadily before your trip so you’ll have that kind of skill and confidence.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice mug on that ole'buck, congrats on the
deer of a lifetime.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is ONE nice buck. Hope someday you can get one a little bigger, but that one looks like the buck of a lifetime!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, OLD deer. That is the key to big! Congrats.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
SHHHH!!!! Don't let everyone know what the sooner state bucks look like. It's something we like to keep to ourselves. Wink

Congrats on a very nice buck!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congrats again Jeff!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a great looking buck. Congratulations!

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Super buck, Jeff. Congrats.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love that extra beam. Great buck! Congratulations.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in OK, I saw a lot of big bucks but never one like that! Good job.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeff, That is indeed a fine Trophy Buck.

Are you going back this year?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Hell of a buck! Great job! I have a ton more respect for the way you killed your buck vs. the growing trend of shooting ear-tagged bucks behind high fences.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone!

The next greatest things about the hunt was that I had the foresight to have good pics taken after I realized what I had shot. Lucky we located a friend of a friend that was a wedding photgrapher. He was williing to take the photo's essentially for free. We also put in the time neccesary to find a great spot to take them.

Here are some of the results. I believe the quality of the photo's is truly fitting of an animal of this stature!

JC

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice buck, sounds like a good place to hunt too.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck. What was the name of that ranch again? Smiler

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote