Find
Notify
Tools

Inca/Scaled Doves in Central TX.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
FYI: Inca/Scaled Doves in Central TX.

A fellow hunter killed one of these doves toward the end of dove season and he wasn't sure what he'd killed so he called me. I had only seen a few of these doves and hadn't learned about them until recently so I thought I'd pass this along. These dove are new to some people because they have expanded out of their "normal" area.
I'm told that they are protected and hunters may not kill them. The problem is that there isn't much info out there for hunters about these doves and TPWD hasn't published anything, that I know of, to inform hunters. I had only seen them myself for the first time this year, so they're new to me too.
These doves will be killed accidentally regardless of the regulations so someone needs to get the word out. TPWD needs to let us know what the law is on this bird so hunters can be informed and no one gets themselves into trouble.
Supposedly these doves have been moving out of their normal habitat into other areas in the last several years, much as the whitewing has done.
My advise to the fellow hunter was to leave the dove lay and definitely not put it in his game bag. It's a shame to have wasted a bird but it's better to err on the side of caution.

TPWD's page on this bird: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hu...ld/species/incadove/

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mistake. I should have posted this in the Bird forum. If the Mod could move it I would appreciate it.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My advise to the fellow hunter was to leave the dove lay and definitely not put it in his game bag. It's a shame to have wasted a bird but it's better to err on the side of caution.

You are quite the sportsman. Inca doves are quite common.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In certain areas, yes they are. However, they are moving into areas where they've not been seen before.
Which is why I posted this, to inform.

Do us a favor and try not to turn every posting here into another arguement. (the 6.5 comes to mind)
I'm just trying to pass info along here.
And yes, I am quite the sportsman, in several sports.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My mistake. I should have posted this in the Bird forum. If the Mod could move it I would appreciate it.

Good information! Thanks

We have a similar situation here in Wy, in the last 6 years or so a larger dove, about the size of a pigeon, has moved in. I don't remember what breed but our G&F say they are non-native and no season exists. Being non-native it is fair game, year round, and no limit. Similar to feral pigeons.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudu, I think you are talking about the ring-necked dove. They are very prolific, breed year around, and are literally everywhere down here in TX where I live. Funny thing is, they prefer cities and inhabited areas as opposed to the uninhabited areas like mourning doves do.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubless +1. Sounds like a ringneck or a Eurasian Collared Dove as they are also called.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet that is the one. They hang around a lot longer than mourning doves in the fall and have a different coo to them than a mourning/turtle dove.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Campbell:
Doubless +1. Sounds like a ringneck or a Eurasian Collared Dove as they are also called.

Bingo! Here's in AZ, they are also not protected -- no closed season and no limit.

From the AZ Regs.:

Collared dove Collared doves are larger than both the native white-winged and mourning doves. They have a black collar on the top part of the neck, pale gray coloration, and dark primary feathers. These doves are an introduced species that have recently expanded their range into Arizona. Originally native on the Indian subcontinent, this bird was introduced to the Bahamas in the 1970s and quickly spread to Florida. They are widely distributed in Arizona.

Protected Birds (May Not Be Hunted)

Inca Dove and Ground Dove : Small birds approximately half the size of a mourning dove. Both are gray and fly close to the ground with rapid wingbeats. The inca has a scaly appearance with a long tail that has white margins. Ground dove has a short, round dark tail. Common summer resident in the better watered valleys, mostly south of the Mogollon Rim.

Dove Notes:
1. BAG LIMIT: Ten (10) Mourning and White-winged Doves per day in the aggregate, of which no more than six (6) may be White-winged Doves. POSSESSION LIMIT: Twenty (20) Mourning and White-winged Doves in the aggregate after opening day, of which no more than twelve (12) may be White-winged Doves. No more than ten (10) doves in the aggregate, of which no more than six (6) may be White-winged Doves, may be taken in any one day.
2. BAG LIMIT: Ten (10) Mourning Doves per day. POSSESSION LIMIT: Twenty (20) Mourning Dove after opening day, of which no more than ten (10) may be taken in any one day.
3. EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE BAG AND POSSESSION LIMIT: Unlimited.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Inca Dove are numerous around D/FW. If you don't think so...just move there and put a bird feeder in your back yard. There have been good numbers of them around the metroplex for years.

As a kid 30 years ago...we saw them in North Texas. Dad called them Mexican Dove.

Never knew what the rules were about them until now though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AR dove hunters, I think we need a clarification/distinction.
Inca/mexican dove are smaller than a mourning dove. Though quite plentiful, the state of Texas will charge you a replacement cost for each one in your possession.
Eurasion/ringneck dove are bigger than mourning dove and the state of Texas considers them nonindiginous animals. You can kill them at will and they do not count as part of your daily bag limit. We can them bonus birds.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote