THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    I wore rubber gloves for field dressing for the first time yesterday. Glad I did!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I wore rubber gloves for field dressing for the first time yesterday. Glad I did!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
I usually eat my worms like this:

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Man:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MC:
Just another reason to go gutless.

I haven't gutted an animal in years. This includes sheep, elk, hog, caribou, antelope, bear and deer.
Skin it on the ground and take off the front / hind quarters, back straps, fillet the neck meat, brisket, rib meat. When I get it home, it's ready to be hung up or cut and wrapped.
This method also eliminates the need to ever drag any animal to a road or the truck. I doubt that my pack weighs more than 80# with all the meat from any deer that I've ever killed.

I kinda do this sometimes myself. In Montana the tenderloins must be kept and I havent found a way to get them without gutting.

Someone(maybe ravenr) mentioned using the gutless method and severing the spine near the ribcage to allow access to the tenderloins. I will try this next time.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Man:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MC:
Just another reason to go gutless.

I haven't gutted an animal in years. This includes sheep, elk, hog, caribou, antelope, bear and deer.
Skin it on the ground and take off the front / hind quarters, back straps, fillet the neck meat, brisket, rib meat. When I get it home, it's ready to be hung up or cut and wrapped.
This method also eliminates the need to ever drag any animal to a road or the truck. I doubt that my pack weighs more than 80# with all the meat from any deer that I've ever killed.

I kinda do this sometimes myself. In Montana the tenderloins must be kept and I havent found a way to get them without gutting.

Someone(maybe ravenr) mentioned using the gutless method and severing the spine near the ribcage to allow access to the tenderloins. I will try this next time.

You can get the tenderloins from behind the ribs and along side the spine. They are usually the last thing I do when using the gutless. And depending on how the critter is laying I have split a little hole in the belly to let the guts hang out a little. It just relieves a little pressure while getting the tenderloins.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i ve read some of you believe that with -10 temp bear meat is exempt of trych.

there is no such a thing : only a well cook meat is the cure.

ill bring you some infos and links tomorrow.

all the best.

Posts: 1876 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
i ve read some of you believe that with -10 temp bear meat is exempt of trych.

there is no such a thing : only a well cook meat is the cure.

ill bring you some infos and links tomorrow.

all the best.

It has been mentioned that the trichinosis you have in the far North seems to be resistant to freezing. I have never heard the same said about the trichinosis we have in the lower 48. I'm interested to see your links.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote