New
Find
Notify
Tools

North American Hunting Club scam
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A while back I got a brochure that said if I sign up for a year I will get a free white tail book and 2 hunting knives. I sent a check with the application.
Then I got a notice to pay for the subscription. I E mailed them and told them they have my check.
I then received the book and it said to get the knives I had to pay $7 for the book. Nice book so I sent $7.
Now I got a notice that to get the knives I have to renew my membership for 2 or 3 more years.
That did it! Bait and switch in the extreme. This will be my last dealing with this outfit.
If they keep sending deer books, they will be tossed in a pile. If they want them back, they can come and get them.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over the years there have been numerous posts on this forum and others, concerning NAHC, I belonged once, they are a joke, and like you say, bait and switch!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best way to deal with them is to cancel your sub. and urge others to do the same!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had NAHC send me items that I did not order or want and ask me to make three "easy" payments on. No Way!!

Posts: 121 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Always keep advertisements for your record. When you sent them the check, you should have sent a copy of the add. This goes for anything, not just hunting.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have not had a problem with NAHC. I have never been sent anything I did not ask for.

Including books and a backpack. I ended up cancelling the book club membership but kept the backpack. Hauled a caribou in it too. Big Grin

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had some issues and I know of two other guys here in Montana as well. They are a SCAM pure and simple. I've got better things to do with my time than spending it having to police all the crap they sent me.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will second that . Also Buckmasters are bad to!

Posts: 60 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: 09 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wife informed me she signed me up for 3 years, the required time to get the free book and knives.
I E mailed them and told them to cancel my subscription and return my money. Let's see what happens.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
How come I have had no trouble with them? I joined for life and have gotten a whole bunch of stuff from them. The books you can keep and pay for, or send back. I only keep the books that I want, and send the rest back. Life membership is quite inexpensive, and I like the magazine that I get monthly.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
How come I have had no trouble with them? I joined for life and have gotten a whole bunch of stuff from them. The books you can keep and pay for, or send back. I only keep the books that I want, and send the rest back. Life membership is quite inexpensive, and I like the magazine that I get monthly.

Or you can keep the books and not pay for them if they send them without asking. Their bait and switch and all the annoying other crap gets old..

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They finally quit sending me the unasked for crap and cancelled my "membership" when I started sending them back with bricks attached. They had to pay for return shipping, by weight.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
They finally quit sending me the unasked for crap and cancelled my "membership" when I started sending them back with bricks attached. They had to pay for return shipping, by weight.

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I wasn't dealing with this particular "club" but I suspect it's the same outfit. It was Streetmachines Club for us old hotrodders. Same kind of crap. I eventually got them out of my life.

And yep, returning their unasked for stuff in a box with a slump block was the next approach I was going to take. I had heard of somebody doing this and I was certainly open to try if need be.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've also had problems with NAHC's deceptive advertizing.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 11 November 2008 05:47 Hide Post

Larry

That is just too Funny.

Yes they are a scam.

Bill Miller is a Ding-Dong

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:

You too!!!!!!!! At this point I've sent them about 6 or 8 bricks myself and got a couple dozen more just waiting. banana

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
I was a member for a while and enjoyed reading the hunt swaps. It seemed like I was suppose to provide a fully outfitted elk hunt and the other party would take me out to shoot cottentails in return.

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with NAHC a couple of years back, After 3 months of renewing my subscription they came back and said I had to renew my subscription that this was my last issue!!! I called them and talk to someone that didn't have a clue...that was it, I Never renewed with them again nor did I join the club. I'll never join NAHC again, I never saw the bennies anyway they claim to have....

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as a free lunch in life. Most bait and switch deals offer the free lunch, but it is never free. Most "hunting clubs" that are unrestricted are not legit.
Same goes for conservation entities. I did a bit of research on them a few years back. Seems several were headquartered out of Edgefield, South Carolina - some in the same building. Seems they were raising money for conservation but most of it went to salaries for the paid staff.

Check groups out before you send money.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
There are a couple and I don't know all of them, but the NAHC and Buckmasters are perfect examples of hunting clubs that promote free hunting for the founder, and provide no service.

They are magazines that try and pass themselves off and conservation outfits.

If you like the magazines they provide then ok, if you don't then tell them to pack sand.

I only belong to the Boone and Crocket, NRA, Wild Sheep, Safari Club, and OVIS.

I also get Peterson's Hunting, Guns and Ammo, Rifle, Rifle Shooter, Handloading, Alaska trapper, Alaska magazine, Sports Afield, The Field, British Shooting Times, and that's it for magazines.

My shitter looks like a freaking magazine rack but there isn't a woman here to complain, so it works for me.

If your spending money on a hunting club, make sure your doing it for reasons you are ok with. I like the magazines, but I don't think any of the Hunting Clubs have decent magazines other than the TTHA.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I joined once and they send me books and free stuff all the time. the North American Fishing Club too. When they send me something, I open it, take the free stuff out, put the book back in, tape it shut and slap their return label on it and back in the US Mail it goes. Come to think of it I haven't gotten anything from them lately.

I give the free stuff to kids in the neighborhood to add to their tackle boxes or hunting gear.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of the outfit and yet I received two books in the mail with a notice to send them back of pay for them.
I had not requested any books, I had not even contacted them to begin with, nor signed up.
It was completely unasked for.

The books were junk, nice covers and fluff but no substance or good info inside whatsoever, very juvenile information with lots of glossy photos and fluff.
They went in the trash.

When I did not return the books nor pay for them,I received letters threatening legal action, they went in the trash as well.
Finally I called them to explain where I stood on receiving their unasked for crap and the dipstick I talked too had the gall to mention legal action to recover their property or payment

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had them send me unasked for stuff also. I think they buy mailing lists from magazine subscriptions, and then mail you crap and ask for money. The books went into either the yard sale pile or the donation pile - and the bills went into the trash. After a while they stopped sending me anything - problem solved. Now they don't even bother to send me membership information.

Jason

Posts: 36 | Location: NW Missouri | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i just got the election issue monday,what timing

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote