New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smarter than any other bear !
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The bear that achieved fame because she could open those 'bear proof' containers is no more. Frowner
The Adirondack Mtn black bear that was able to open the 'bear proof 'containers was taken by a hunter.She was 20 years old so I would hope that those skills were passed on to her children .

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
I would hope that those skills were passed on to her children .

bewildered
I'm not sure any good can come of that.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
passed on to her children .

And let's not refer to her cubs as 'her children', we have enough problems with society anthropomorphizing wildlife without hunters joining in.

Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
so, how many children did she have???? Big Grin Big Grin

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
quote:
passed on to her children .

And let's not refer to her cubs as 'her children', we have enough problems with society anthropomorphizing wildlife without hunters joining in.

Big Grin

Aint that the truth!

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
so, how many children cubs did she have???? Big Grin Big Grin

shame

No way to really know how many she produced that survived to adulthood but counting placental scars in the uterus would give an idea of that sows reproductive history.

quote:
Aint that the truth!

No kidding. I never missed the chance to correct the young female biologists I've worked with when they start using human terms like 'baby', or 'children' when referring to wildlife.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed a camp robbing bear a couple of falls ago . I hope she di't pass to much onto her cub.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the poor term .
Last year I was involved with investigating a sow with cubs that they'd been monitoring for a few years. Denned up under a large fallen hemlock She was very healthy and had 4 male cubs all in perfect condition with shiney black fur .My thought at the time was -I wish people took as good care of their young as that bear had.