New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hall of Shame
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here is some interesting reading on poaching.

www.wyomingoutdoorsradio.com/you're.htm

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The link is broken.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Try this. On the left hand side of the page go down screen to the box labeled Hall Of Shame.

www.wyomingoutdoorsradio.com

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
If you simply copy/paste the URL Kudu posted, it should work. I think the apostrophe in "you're" isn't recognized in AR's linking method.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
What is it about hunting that seems to bring out the worst in some people?

Most of the violators are undoubtly law-abiding citizens in other aspects of their lives. They probably don't shoplift, commit robbery or burglery nor vandalize public property. But if there is a rifle at hand, an animal in range (and they think nobody's watching) the temptation to break the law is overpowering. Why is that?

Some of the high-profile violators appear to be 'white collar' professionals. They're not stupid. What makes a presumedly intelligent and educated person willing to risk tens- or hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines, jail time (and their reputations) over a set of antlers or horns?

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bigasanelk, that may be true for the larger number of violations, but for those who are serial violators I found that the vast majority of those were active in others areas of criminal activity....drugs, DUIs,theft, etc.

troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is it about hunting that seems to bring out the worst in some people?

I often wonder the same thing! Ego's????

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Ego's are part of the problem, along with greed, throw in a lack of respect for laws in general along with some intrinsic civil and social non-conformity issues and you might get a rough idea.

From experiences and observations over my hunting career I have witnessed poaching evolve from folks shooting a doe out of season for food to dove and duck hunters shooting a few too many birds to folks using night vision gear to shoot trophy class bucks solely for their antlers which were traded for drugs.

There have been game and fish poachers as long as humans have been on the planet. Even before humans started developing organised societies with rules and laws, the native tribes around the globe would encroach on each others territory because the hunting/fishing was better.

In our modern world, even though many folks pass themselves off as being of high moral fiber and ethical in all endeavors, lots of "Poaching" takes place that no one sees or admits too.

It is the ones that are too arrogant or blatant with what they do or try to get away with that makes one wonder.

Trying to understand the thinking of someone that can afford to go on trophy hunts and pay for real trophy game, going out and repeatedly poaching trophy animals simply because they believe they will not get caught is impossible.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote