THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    (.308) 165 Sierra Gameking--Hollowpoint Boattail

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(.308) 165 Sierra Gameking--Hollowpoint Boattail
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have worked up some loads for my son's BLR in 308 Winchester. This bullet is the clear standout for accuracy of those that I tried. I personally have not used this bullet before.

For those with personal experience, my question is, how large of game would you consider using this bullet on at 308 velocities? What has been your experience on expansion/penetration at near muzzle velocities and at low impact velocities.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt with HP's. And at the ranges I hunt, a BT isn't needed.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For clarification, the bullet in question is a "Gameking" not a "Matchking."

posted Hide Post
Excellent results and this was my "go-to" bullet for about two years in a 20in Rem 700. Also is still the most accurate bullet at 100m but I upgraded a couple years ago to 180 SBTs for better accuracy at longer distances. Pictured is my biggest hog shot at about 80m in the neck with this bullet. I've never hunted anything larger than deer and hogs, though. I'm 6'0 205lbs for reference if the picture posts correctly...

Posts: 18 | Location: Georgetown, TX | Registered: 06 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
I don't hunt with HP's. And at the ranges I hunt, a BT isn't needed.

Not hunting with HP's is obviously your choice but the Sierra HPBT GameKing is an outstanding and very accurate BIG GAME bullet.

Hint: not all HP bullets are designed for varmints or targets.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use them all the time since I can get them cheaply. I would use them for anything in the lower 48, including Moose and Elk.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For several years that was my most used bullet in the 308.

I have taken several deer and antelope with it as well as coyotes and bobcats.

Sierra rates it a tougher bullet that their 165 lead ponted spitzer.

They only reason I quite using it was I started testing factory 308 ammo for work.

It is a very good bullet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
For deer and hogs, it will do very well. Like others have pointed out, this bullet is actually stouter than the standard BTSP in the same weight.

My use of that particular projectile is limited, and I've only taken a couple of hogs with it, but both were complete shoulder-to-shoulder pass-thoughs on 180-200 pound boars. Estimated impact velocity in each instance was around 2350-2400 fps.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunt anything you want to with confidence up to and including elk with the 165 HPBT. They are very accurate but as a general rule of thumb they will damage slightly more meat than a conventional spire point.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've Killed a good many Deer with them in both a 308Win and 30-06. I've been trying to remember if I ever recovered one of the Bullets in a Deer, but if I did, I do not remember it.

It is an excellent choice for long range Deer hunting in the 30-06 - if you have enough scope.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote