THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    The Blaser Chronicles A Day in the Life.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Blaser Chronicles A Day in the Life.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As I have a 28GA. bbl for my Blaser that has yet to bag any game I thought I would give it a try this weekend at the deer lease. As I knew I would be hunting Ducks, I bought some Bismuth 7 1/5 shells so as to comply with Federal regs [7 1/2's was all I could find]. Sat morning my brother and I sat on our "Duck Pond" and waited. The first two ducks came in and to my suprise I knocked one down with the 28ga. He did require a "finisher" but so do many that are hit with a 12 ga. The Eley shells showed high pressure and were hard to extract. The bases showed a bulge where the ejector was just like high pressure loads in rifles.
Shooting the Bismuth shells was discontinued. Regular high brass lead loads have not shown any pressure signs.
Later that day I changed bbls to my new 375 H&H Tracker bbl and test fired it. The results were so good that I decided to take it pig hunting Sat afternoon. I also wanted to shoot a turkey so I took the 28ga bbl and bolt face [and the hex wrench so I could change bbls] and went to a place that pigs and turkeys are often seen.
I stalked in with the 375 bbl on the rifle. Once in place I changed to the 28ga bbl. After I had been sitting there a while a covey of quail walked by. I fired one shot and bagged four of them at 30 yards. I was hunting where I could see the river and saw some ducks land below and down from me. I decided to sneak up on the ducks and went down the cliff to be on the same level as the river. Before I could get to the ducks I heard 3 shots from the other side of the river. A few seconds later several turkeys flew over head. One landed in a tree on the edge of the cliff over looking the river. I was below and about 80 yards from him. I put the sneak on him and when I was about 25 to 30 yards from him I fired one shot of WW high base #6's at his head and neck. He fell straight down out of the tree. I heard him
"flap" for a second or two, but when I reached him he was finished. I took him back to where I had been setting and changed back to the 375H&H Tracker bbl in case a pig came by but none did.
The next day my wife and I were driving on the lease and we spotted a pig about a hundred yards away. I got out of the vehicle and put a stalk on it. I got to within 31 yards when I saw a couple of other pigs. I fired a 270 Rem RN at the pig trying not to hit the shoulder. She was rooting and I hit her a little too far back and low. She took off running toward me. I fired a second shot with not enough lead and hit behind her,As she was closer I decided to try and shoot her in the head, Shot number 3 hit her in the lower jaw breaking it. She continued to run. Shot number 4 hit farther back in the head, but the bullet passed under the brain. She continued to run. I reloaded one round from my buttstock shell carrier and gave chase. She headed into the thick stuff. I chased her for about 40 yards, I had one oppertunity for a "rear end" shot, but passed not wanting to ruin any meat. I was pretty sure my first shot had been a good one. As I was now in thick brush I thought I should stop and reload the rifle fully, which I did. Durring this time I noticed a good blood trail and began to rapidly follow it. I caught up to her a minute or so later and a shot to the head finished her. She is about a 120 lb sow.
She had a lot of fat and will be good table fare.
So in about a 24 hour period I was able to take duck, quail, turkey, and a wild pig, all with my Blaser.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a great day.

And a great place to have a drilling.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, not a bad bag for a single gun!

It does indeed sound like your hunting options would lend themselves to the use of a combined gun - be it an over-under rifle/shot combination (Bockb�chsflinte) or a Drilling. These days, you can even get Drillings with 2 rifle barrels... The options are endless, there is always another gun to buy

Being a Blaser man, check out the new Blaser Drillings, or commit "treason" and look at a Krieghof. Neither of the above is cheap...
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before I got a drilling I carried a 12 ga Ithaka Deerslayer with just the open sights. This turned out to be an excellent bird gun and indeed I took a duck with it as well.

The Ithaka will shoot Foster type slugs very well to 100 yds also. It has a burl walnut stock but that was the era of pressed in checkering. I like the gun anyway.

What model Blaser is that?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing an R93 of some sort. Was that what you meant Savage99??
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is a Blaser R-93.
mho, you are correct, a Drilling would have been an excellent choice....However my wife was using it.
We all make mistakes...Mine was buying Her the Drilling and hoping she would let me borrow it. [She does once and a while ]. I should have bought it for ME, and let her borrow it.
Still the 28ga bbl for the Blaser R-93 is a very lightweight way to get a shotgun suitable for Grouse and other game for the pot when space and weight is of prime importance.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, I see the opportunity for another gun purchase... Stop the mortgage payments, clear some room in the gun cabinet...
- mike