New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What A Deer !!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What i'm saying is that if he could see fine without the aid of an artificial light, or a full moon, or aurora borealis, than he has nothing to be ashamed of, as long as he was on stand, and not off of a road, or out of a vehicle.
The deer don't live life by a wristwatch, so whats the difference. Granted if his buddy held the light, or swung the truck around for him, than their asses should hang.
The bullshit laws I speak of are, for example, the law of a shotgun zone only, but Joe Shmow can waltz in with his pistol in 270 win and shoot 250 yards without breaking any laws. But don't you dare take your 30-30 levergun out. Pure bullshit.
Kevin NY,I don't deerhunt anymore. When I found myself longing to go out before season, just to avoid the opening day onslaught of the pumpkin suited asshole crowds on their 4-wheelers, I decided i'd had enough.
Trigger

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Not quite a pending record according to the scoresheet....

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheating is just that cheating there's no honor in it. It would be like going to the whore house to get laid then bragging to your friends about it. NO CLASS!!!

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don�t know anything about these deer and really don�t care. What I do know is determining legal hunting hours by a clock is a bunch of crap and another example of needless government regulation as a useless solution to a non existent problem. If you can see to shoot with only the use of a legal sighting device then it should be legal hours plain and simple.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Like it or not, many of the hunting regulations have as much to do with safety as they do with ethics.

Now I know that everyone here will insist that they are 100% safe, etc., but it's the OTHER guy you have to worry about. I personally wouldn't want to walk out from my treestand 30 minutes after sunset knowing that some 'hunter' with 30/200 vision was still legally able to shoot (and that's on PRIVATE land, which, with the amount of trespassers I saw this year, isn't so private anymore).

Fact is, when you buy you license you are acknowledging that there are rules that accompany the sport. You don't have to AGREE with the rules, mind you. Break the rules and you are a CHEATER, plain and simple, and deserve the punishment that a cheater has earned.

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People who have respect for the animal don't break laws that are designed to protect that animal. If you don't agree with the laws then get them changed. Don't just break them just because the antlers are huge, and justify it because it was only 10 minutes past legal shooting light. That is much like saying I should not be charged with impaired if my blood alcohol level is JUST 10 Mg over the legal limit.

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom,
So what you're saying is that the deer is cool with being f*cked with for 10-12 hours a day, but is against that 15 minutes after the sun sets? NOT!! Obviously it's just what man is cool with.If the deer had his way, we would'nt be out there at all. So again, it is'nt an animal/respect thing, it's the human bullshit factor, pure and simple.
When i'm hungry, I eat. I don't care if he's got 1 point, or 20 points. I don't take more than I can eat, and don't shoot for horns. I'd rather have a 6 point 250 lb deer or doe, than a 125 lb 14 point texas whitetail.
Trigger

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a man, and therefore regardless of what type of time telling instruments the deer might be wearing ie seiko, timex, rolex, I play by what you call bullshit rules designed by man. I thoroughly agree with Frank in that the true test of an honourable man is what he does when no one is watching and he has only himself to answer to. If as you say, big game animals can be persued 10-12 hours per day, why not capitilize on those plentiful hours instead of breaking the law and shooting after legal light?

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas,
As honourable as you may be, or feel you are, it does'nt do the deer any favors when YOU decide which 12 hours YOU feel are right to go out and blow holes in them. And out of those 12 hours, which 15 minutes either way will land you in jail, or not. But if it makes you feel better, and you feel like you are "protecting" them for that lingering 20 minutes of fading light at the end of the day, then good for you.Hope it makes you sleep better. I'm sure the deer appreciate it.
In my opinion there is a gray area between "ethically" and lawfully. I know alot of folks see things differently.
Bottom line is that if this deer were a 155 lb 4 pointer, it'd have been camp meat, and no one would have heard a thing about it. Some may disagree, but thats your right to disagree.
You know what, if I hunt for 12 hours and 15 minutes a day instead of 12 hours even, I can live with myself just fine.
I guess in your eyes killing is right for the first 12, and
wrong for the next 12.
Killin' is killin', pure and simple. You'll either go to hell, or you won't. Or you can repent.
You people get so wrapped up in this deer hunting craze. These deer are going to die some day regardless, who cares who's wall the thing ends up on?
The single most important thing is the food aspect, which nobody here seems to give a rats ass about. God put those creatures here for food, and we go turn it into Antler envy and money. Get over it.
Trigger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy am I glad that you wouldn't have to worry about the hour here in Alaska. We can hunt around the clock, just no artificial light. Seems that safety would be the main reason for shooting hours in the lower 48, that and keeping the yahoos with spotlights honest.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well guys, if it's OK to shoot one 1/2 an hour after legal shooting time, why not just shoot them at midnight, or long after the season is over ? Afterall, I'd have to freeze my tail off and go to that much touble. Heck, I've been after a nice 30 inch buck for three seasons now, right in my own neighborhood. He's still alive because I quit when I have to and don't hunt him any other time.
I'm with Stubblejumper. Never thought I'd say that. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
It's obvious that someone here picks and chooses which laws are worthy of abiding by, and which aren't.

In case the point has been missed:
1. Hunting is a sport,
2. Sports have rules,
3. Breaking the rules makes you a cheater.

And-
1. Shooting deer for survival is not hunting,
2. The deer in question was shot for ANTLERS, not survival.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny you should say that Turok,.......considering if one of your Indian Brethren had done the same thing, he would never have been charged.