THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    OT, but really need some advice from any ladies here on this

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT, but really need some advice from any ladies here on this
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
Need some female advice on a hypothetical, please. Say you were away from home for some time on a trip and arrived home to learn that your beloved hubby, after careful deliberation and consideration, had made the executive decision to go ahead and utilize her tub to butcher a respectable-sized tunoid. Would that be a problem of any kind, do you suppose? It is, after all, the logical and most practical best choice, given that the kitchen is not quite properly equipped counterspace-wise to handle such a fish easily. Here's what it looked like. Not a problem, right? I'm kind of hoping a few will reassure me that love conquers all or something....

TIA for any positive reinforcement.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were several sentences that I was going to use to start this answer but none of them adequately described the breadth and depth to which I would say that I would definitely NOT do what is pictured, in my wife's bathtub. Maybe if she were gone for two weeks and this was taken on the first day of her absence leaving me plenty of time to disinfect the entire area and establish a new identity in Mexico or someplace. I would never let her see it or know that it had been done and I certainly would not have taken a picture of the evidence and put it on the Internet.

I expect to be reading about your untimely demise in the paper soon.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never caught a fish large enough to use the term "butcher." What did that thing look like whole? Wow!

No, you shouldn't have taken photographic proof. Might be admissible in a divorce case.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling your wife will show you that those knives can remove more than fins off of a fish... Big Grin

By the way, we are all working on a giant AR get well card to wish you a speedy recovery.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
KG,
That looks like a picture from "CSI"! You might be in DEEP trouble, I'll pray for you.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
A woman's tub is a sacred place and you have desecrated it. shocker You in deep shit. If I did that my wife would probably pour gasoline on my scent free hunting clothes to prove a point that some things don't belong in some places....especially when they leave a smell. Roll Eyes

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bja105:
I have never caught a fish large enough to use the term "butcher." What did that thing look like whole? Wow!

No, you shouldn't have taken photographic proof. Might be admissible in a divorce case.

I offer this into evidence for the defense. This sucker just would not fit in the sink. Well, the head would...Almost.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a bunch of wusses in here obviously. Proudly tell her how you processed the tuna in her bathtub and that tuna sushi is a well known aphrodisiac. In short,"Are you going to eat or bend over?" clap

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
There's a bunch of wusses in here obviously. Proudly tell her how you processed the tuna in her bathtub and that tuna sushi is a well known aphrodisiac. In short,"Are you going to eat or bend over?" clap

I take it you've been divorced a time or two then... Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday KG,

Enjoy your divorce. It is a situation much better than it is made out to be. Think about a life with no nagging, no talking to you about "important stuff" while you are trying to watch TV.

There is no bitching about Tuna in the tub or the hairs still in the meat you are puting in the freezer or the mud that has just been walked through the carpet.You can pluck ducks in the washing machine without fear of retribution.

All the money you earn is yours and not being spent on essentials like "nice" vases, high heel shoes, scented wood shavings in the middle of the coffee table. If you end up paying child support treat it as "The screwing you get for the screwing you got!"

The only down side of losing a parasite is you don't generally end up with the kids living under the same roof. For me it is too high a price for freedom. diggin

Treat this opportunity as a get out of jail free card and remember "any man who remarries didn't deserve his divorce.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I reckon you were being very thoughtful by using the tub - it'll make it so much easier for her to clean up the mess than if you had used the floor. Big Grin

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well in the spirit of the first post I asked my wife for her opinion.

Her reply was "He is a dumb f*#@". What was he thinking. When you have something like that you get some large trash bags or a cheap plastic tarp, and do it in the back yard."

I have to admit I agree with her... however for a different reason. I would not want my Tuna in the same place I wash my nasty butt. Eeker

However in our 26+years of marriage I have never cleaned fish, my wife always does it...

So, If I caught that monster while she was out of town...

Aren't there some guys at the dock hanging around that clean your fish for a small fee? Big Grin

That is a nice fish. thumb

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
That is a big fish! That must have been a heck of a fight!

She will get over it. Big Grin

It reminds me of the time we butchered a hog in a motel room, I am sure they got over it. Why wouldn't she? dancing

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
quote:

I take it you've been divorced a time or two then... Wink

Yes, but this one likes sushi...... dancing

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I've butchered all kinds of critters on the kitchen table and counters, but never in the tub. Of course, like a previous poster I've never caught a fish that had to be "butchered."

I wouldn't worry about it, but my wife is pretty forgiving of my addiction to hunting (and to a lesser degree fishing). Besides, unless she frequents AR, what she does't know won't hurt you. Wink

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gari - the question you need to ask yourself is why the hell she wouldn't be thrilled as a cheerleader at the homecoming game?

any wife worth having is not only going to uderstand, but also be proud of you. in fact, the only reason she might be mad is because you didn't find a place to keep it fresh until she could come home and help out!

i say this all tongue-in-cheek, of course. love should conquer all and if not, perhaps the fella who took the picture will have a place where you can crash for a few days until it blows over.

heck of a nice fish, by the way!

ron

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
OK gents, thanks for the advice. Being sometimes a clever boy, I have some mitigating evidence. If I get called on it I will unfortunately be forced to throw someone else under the bus. Which is what I took this pic for, just in case. That's my brother. "Honey, he MADE ME SO IT!" wave Big Grin

Sorry, dude. It's a cruel world out there!

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I dont think she will mad at all. She will look at the careful consideration you put forth when you elected clean the fish in her tub. Afterall tubs are easily cleaned, you contained the mess into one small area instead of all over her kitchen and it has an exhaust fan to remove any unwanted smells! She should be thrilled at you forethought! Big Grin
However, I do realize that women think different than us men do. So.. when she blows a gasket give her a few days and she'll get over it. Hell, I turned an armadillo loose on my wife while she was making dinner in the kitchen one evening and she forgave me.

Heck of a fish by the way!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Thing is that tuna have a way of permeating an area with their odiferous post mortem aura. Very high oil content and the gases of decomposition waft through the house and settle out on everything.

And because you two boys did this in an enclosed room you were breathing those gases which will result in several days of oily, sputtering tuna farts.

She'll know something was up, womens noses are hundreds of times more sensitive than mens. Remember how your mom could smell beer on your breath from 100 feet away ?

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:

And because you two boys did this in an enclosed room you were breathing those gases which will result in several days of oily, sputtering tuna farts.

Since you are confusing the digestive and respiratory systems, all I can say about this is that I'm damned glad you're not my physician!

KG

one of us
posted Hide Post
YOur story reminds me of an old buddy of mine that used to put his deer in the tub, after they were skinned and gutted of course, he would fill the tub, put salt in it, lay the carcass in the water and let it soak.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Not confusing them on this at all, in fact it may be a combination of both that creates this phenomenon.

You're breathing in the gases of decomposition and absorbing them. Whether through the lungs and into the bloodstream or swallowed and entering the digestive system.

Happens when I skin and flesh a number of gray fox and when I cut albacore. For several days afterwards my farts will smell like gray fox or albacore. Big Grin

Or muskrats, bobcats, coyotes, rabbits, geese, etc.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Kamo Gari if she has not seen it yet, try to be home when she gets there and tell her, "Before You Go Into the Bathroom, Let Me Explain".

That is what I did to my wife of just slightly over a year when I brought home 5 pronghorn carcasses and had them quartered and iced down in our bath tub in our little apaprtment we were living in.

The hardest part was explaining to her mother just exactly why we were having to drive 20 something miles over to her house to take baths for a couple of days until I could get the biggest freezer tha Monkey Wards sold at the time bought and delivered. Eeker Eeker Eeker

That was almost 16 years ago, we are still together and as she tells everyone, life with me is never dull.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
Not confusing them on this at all, in fact it may be a combination of both that creates this phenomenon.

You're breathing in the gases of decomposition and absorbing them. Whether through the lungs and into the bloodstream or swallowed and entering the digestive system.

Happens when I skin and flesh a number of gray fox and when I cut albacore. For several days afterwards my farts will smell like gray fox or albacore. Big Grin

Or muskrats, bobcats, coyotes, rabbits, geese, etc.

Nah, you just ain't scrubbing hard enough in the tub, man. Wink

KG

One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
Personally I would be pissed off !!!!

I would-- in no uncertain terms -- tell my wife "Do you see how you made my beautiful fish smell?"

I'd show her.

Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife would have kill me!GOOD LUCK dancing
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's a bunch of wusses in here obviously. Proudly tell her how you processed the tuna in her bathtub and that tuna sushi is a well known aphrodisiac. In short,"Are you going to eat or bend over?"

Yeah I highly recomend that one Cool

Ol' Gato will never hear the shot that kills him!

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
There's a bunch of wusses in here obviously. Proudly tell her how you processed the tuna in her bathtub and that tuna sushi is a well known aphrodisiac. In short,"Are you going to eat or bend over?"

Yeah I highly recomend that one Cool

Ol' Gato will never hear the shot that kills him!

Geesh, man, are you sure you're not from one of those effete eastern states and have just moved to Texas? You probably drink Jim Beam with a mixer too...... Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, to be serious for a minute, why didn't you just clean the fish on top of the ice chest in the driveway. It wouldn't take but a few minutes and then you could just hose the driveway off.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, to be serious for a minute, why didn't you just clean the fish on top of the ice chest in the driveway. It wouldn't take but a few minutes and then you could just hose the driveway off.

You assume that I have a driveway. I don't, nor a backyard. I'm not new to this, just in a slightly different kettle of fish. Wink By the bye, on that day I left the house at 1 am to make a 100 mile drive. Spent 14 hours on the water, covered maybe 120 miles out there. Had another 100 mile drive in front of me. Got home at 11:00 pm wiped out. Fish was bled and on ice, no need to rush. As far as the butchering comment, nope, that fish was taken apart properly. The collars have been cut off and saved for broiling, the loin and belly flap of one side was done and trimmed, and what you see is the ribcage that's been cleaned of flesh with a spoon. Waste not want not. After that pic was taken, the fish was flipped and the other side done. Came out perfectly, if I do say so myself.

The post was just meant to add a bit of humor, and was 100% tongue in cheek. Some of you guys need to lighten up a bit... Smiler My wife was in Tokyo when I got busy with Chuckles in the tub. She actually called when my bro' and I were up to our armpits in fishgore. I told her exactly what we were doing, and that I'd have to call her back. She sighed a bit, then giggled, and said to just make sure I cleaned up after myself, and saved some for her. I told her that was not going be a problem. Yeah, I married the right lass.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'm sure your wife is not going to be upset at all.

I mean, this is never going to happen again once you finish remodelling your old fashioned and limited kitchen.....

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Before I comment on anything, I want to know who does that big Shun belong to? You or her?

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:Remember how your mom could smell beer on your breath from 100 feet away ?

Ain't that the truth Wink.

Damn nice fish Gari. Hey, just make sure things are cleaned up. If she likes tuna, there will be absolutely no problem. God forbid you don't get things TOTALLY cleaned up however Eeker.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miles58:
Before I comment on anything, I want to know who does that big Shun belong to? You or her?

Me. I cut, and she cooks. Works for us. Wink

KG

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Nice yellowfin, KG. thumb

Give me some details re: tackle, bait, etc.

I'll be heading out with some friends on a charter from Point Judith in a couple of weeks and would love to follow suit.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13484 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Not a yellowfin, Mike. That's a juvie bluefin. Here's what that one would look like in a few years:

We are getting fish from Boone's Isle off NH to the NWC all the way to S of MV and E of Chatham. I fish out of MA normally, so can't help with Rhody waters, but mention the Regal Sword, SWC and Crab Ledge to your skipper. Also, fish being taken, some very, very large, at Peaked Hill to the Race. If he knows it, it may be worth the steam up. There be fish there.

KG

Edited to add: squid bars in black and rainbow have been the hot producers. Even neater, my fish was tagged and I just got the certificate back via email. Thing was tagged on the north coast--of SPAIN! Traveled 3300 miles. Then it met me. Smiler Eeker

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by miles58:

Me. I cut, and she cooks. Works for us. Wink

KG

In that case you're probably safe. My Shuns have become my favorites for butchering deer. I can't believe how long they hold a really sharp edge. I would love for them to make a big fillet knife out of that steel.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
Not a yellowfin, Mike. That's a juvie bluefin. Here's what that one would look like in a few years:

We are getting fish from Boone's Isle off NH to the NWC all the way to S of MV and E of Chatham. I fish out of MA normally, so can't help with Rhody waters, but mention the Royal Sword, SWC and Crab Ledge to your skipper. Also, fish being taken, some very, very large, at Peaked Hill to the Race. If he knows it, it may be worth the steam up. There be fish there.

KG

Edited to add: squid bars in black and rainbow have been the hot producers. Even neater, my fish was tagged and I just got the certificate back via email. Thing was tagged on the north coast--of SPAIN! Traveled 3300 miles. Then it met me. Smiler Eeker

Thanks, KG. I clearly ain't no tuna expert!

Pretty cool info on the tag.

I read of one tagged bluefin that weighed in at something under 40 pounds when first caught and tagged, and that then was caught just a couple of years later around 4 or 5,000 miles away and weighed in at over 250!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13484 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Yep. Here's my certificate from the large pelagics folks. Quite amazing. He doubled in size in 3 years. Had I let that one go and he managed to evade predators, nets and other fishermen, he likely would some day have gone better than half a ton. The world record rod and reel giant bluefin is *~1400* lbs. Dat's a lot of sashimi! Oh, and worth a great deal of dough. A buddy of mine took a fish to market some years back and got $30K. Yeah, that's for *one* fish.

Cheers,

KG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just asked my wife and she shrugged and said it makes obvious sense to use the tub for a fish like that. She wouldn't want to clean it up but had no problem otherwise.

She's OK when I lay deer meat all over the kitchen to cut up too and will even help if asked.

As long as you clean it up, why worry?

Posts: 41 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote