New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting clothes/gloves
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All right guys, I know that questions about about hunting clothes, I don't think that this one has been answered though so hopefully somebody could help me out.

I usually wear long john's (synthetic), with a wool shirt (pendleton usually) then wear a down jacket over the top, a pair of jeans and some boots. What I really need is some good gloves. I have some leather ones, but they are by no means warm. I would like to know where I can get some lined gloves that would be good. Leather is preferable, and I DO NOT want camo. Camo is all nice and fine, but I don't usually wear any and would like to have the gloves be usable for more than just going hunting. (like when I go to work etc.)

Also, anybody got good recommendations on non camo jackets? my down jacket is not only too bulky, it is noisy (whish whish), and not as warm as I would have expected (cheap jacket from coscto). I was looking at mabye the woolworth hunting jacket, but am not set on wool and would look at other things, preferably not super expensive.

thanks all.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always wear fingerless wool gloves untill it gets real cold then I put mittens on over the wool gloves. I will wear a thin liner either over or under the fingerless wool; gloves when it is dangerous to touch metal. I wear the same shirt combo you do and I wear Filson wool whipcord pants. If it is real cold or real snowey, I wear Filson thick wool pants.
For a quiet coat try one of Filsons wool coats, I use their vest also. I never hunt in any cotton clothes [fall/winter hunting].

If you want some good wool clothing cheap, go to a Army Surplus store that has some clothing from Europe. I have seen some good wool coats for very little. Some are full length and you might need to cut and hem but they have been in excellent shape.

[ 07-24-2003, 01:14: Message edited by: N E 450 No2 ]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N E

Where do you get your Filson Wool Whipcord Pants? Dallas area? Pro Bass, REI, ????

Are they going to be too hot hunting in 50�F weather?

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You forgot to mention the Filson pants are $173.25. That is about $125 more than my gag point. Back to the drawing board.

I did order their catalog.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kensco, try L L Bean. Their goods are real inexpensive but not cheap. There is a diffference. Bean clothing will basically last you a life time of normal hunting wear. I had a pair of their wool big game hunting trousers and went west elk hunting and riped the leg half way to the knee and repaired them with duck tape for the balance of the hunt, when I returned home called Bean about a repair and their options were 1 have repaired locally and they would reimburse, 2 they would reapir or 3 they would replace, I took the replacement. You can get any better than that, eh.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wrangler "Rugged Wear" thinsulate insulated jeans work really good for me. Only if it's super cold like below 0 do I wear poly-pro long johns. They block the Wyoming wind well. You can get them in a couple different Camo styles, Brown, or Indigo blue. For under $40.00

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DagoRed
I sent you an e-mail with a link to an outfit that has some good deals going on right now with Wool Bibs&Jackets as well as others.While it isn't a "Cabelas" if you know what your looking for they have some outstanding deals on closeouts and last years models. [Cool]

www.sportsmansguide.com

[ 07-24-2003, 21:55: Message edited by: Marsh Mule ]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much, I will check it out.

are you central valley california?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
DR,

Ive become quite fond of neoprene waterfoul type gloves for all my hunting. They dont keep out the real cold weather but do retain warmth suprisingly well. Their most positive aspects are they are totally waterproof, windproof and it is easy to shoot and even load bullets with them on.

Of corse for extreme cold situations a guy might want something warmer, perhaps one of the thin wool millsurp liners inside of the neoprene gloves..??

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try getting yourself a pair of those silk thermal liners and put a good pair of elk skin gloves over them. This combo is good for me till it gets below zero and I like the control I have with the snug fitting leather gloves.

Posts: 2 | Location: Rancho Murieta, CA | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've bought some European army surplus items from Sportsmen's Guide for not much money and was satisfied. Selection of x-large sizes is slim though.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For gloves I use a wool pair, with shooter fingers, and leather palm. These are camo. I bought them at Kmart in 1996. Can not find, except for blaze orande. When it is very cold, I like the glo-mitts.I have 2 pairs with thinsulate.
These are the mittens, were the top folds down to be finger less.I have woolrich,and filson hunting clothes. I also buy the surplus stuff from the Sportsmans Guide. The Swiss stuff is the best I've found. I bought wool pants for $9.95 a pair.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red;
Did you get the E-mails I sent?
Also, Yes I'm about 90 or so miles due north of you.

<SlimL>
posted
I guess I am lucky my hand very rarely get cold. When they do I usually wear a fingerless glove with a neopreme palm and fleece back. I used to wear a wool/polypro mix fingerless from REI. I don't like Rag wool because it gets clammy when wet. Slim

<Mr_Magoo>
posted
For cold weather clothes, I always go to Wearguard.

http://www.wearguard.com/

The stuff from there wears like iron, and it does protect you from whatever cold weather you are in. It is stuff made for construction workers that have to work out in the crap.