Tools

Texas deer hunt report
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Where; Parker Ranch outside of Cherokee Texas
Outfitter: None (private lease)
Gun: Custom built, LH Montana Rifle Co action.
Load: Handload 120 grain TSX (6.5x284)
Dates: Dec 11-12, 2009

This was a hunt on a private lease (low fence) and they encouraged us to take at least one doe but trophy bucks had to 5 ½ years old, 10 pointers with at least a 15” outside spread. We were also allowed to take any management bucks that we saw which they defined as bucks with odd numbered points or non-typical racks. They also said that any old deer were also allowed (sway backed, dew-lapped, roman nosed bucks).

Saturday morning we were up at 5 AM and since I was set up for long range shooting they put me in a blind with views over an area with shots out to 400 yards. About 6:30 in the morning I saw a nice mature doe come out of some cedars as she was looking back over her shoulder, I waited to see what else might be with her. About 2 minutes later a nice 3 ½ year old 8 pointer came out with her. He was a perfect 8 pointer so I had to pass him up.

I lasered her at 265 yards as she fed away from me feeding up the hill. I sighted in on her spine and sent a 120 grain TSX directly through her spine just above her waist and the buck took off running back into the trees. Her rear end collapsed and she started spinning around on just her front legs. As she turned again I sent another bullet downrange and she collapsed.

I found her laying on her side and noticed that she had a white patch of hair on her left flank so she was a partial piebald.

I didn’t see any other deer and about 9:30 the ranch truck came by to pick me up. We got the doe in the cooler to hang along with two more does and a small narrow 9 pointer (management buck) that the other guys had shot that morning.

About 2 PM three of us went out for the afternoon hunt. The guy who had shot the 9 pointer said that after he shot his buck he had spooked a big 10 point so the ranch manager decided to put me on that stand for the evening.

I got into the blind about 2:30 PM and ranged all the landmarks and glassed for the next 3 hours. Right at 5:30 two does came out along the right hand side of the field but something spooked them and they took off running across the open area. I locked in on the area that they spooked from and saw the head and neck of a big buck sticking out. A young doe came out from behind him and he followed her out in the field 145 yards away. He had a tall 5 point antler on the left side but I couldn’t see his spread he was easiest the largest whitetail I've ever seen in real life. As he walked out I could see that he didn’t have the big neck and chest of a 5 ½ year old buck so I was cursing my luck. About halfway across the field the doe stopped and both of them turned to look in my direction. I could see that he was a lot wider than 15” but then noticed that he only had four points on his right side. Since he was an odd pointer I could shoot him! I sighted in low on his chest just behind the front leg and squeezed the trigger. I then took the safety off, sighted in again and touched the trigger again. I lost him in the recoil and when I got the scope back on him I saw him spin around and break for the trees that he had come out of. Just as he passed in front of a large cedar I saw him start to nosedive as he ran out of sight.

This was when the shakes hit me. I could barely get the safety back on and the gun set down. I fumbled with the lens covers for my binoculars and tried to get everything stowed back in my pack but my hands were shaking so badly I couldn’t do anything on the first try. When I don’t get the shakes after shooting a big trophy, I’ll give up hunting.

I took some pictures and heard the ranch truck pulling up. My host had heard my shot and since it was only one he figured that I had got a deer so he came out to help me.

No blood at the entrance wound at all but a quarter sized exit hole and I couldn't find a piece of the heart bigger than a silver dollar. The ground behind where I hit him looked like someone had sprayed a hose of blood on the ground and he travelled about 50 feet before piling up into a mesquite bush.

We did some quick measurements. The main beams were just over 20” long, the G2s were 10.5” and the G3s were both over 7“. He was missing the G4 on the right side but he had really nice brow tines. The inside spread is 16" and the outside spread is over 17"

I’m getting him mounted and hope to see him in a few months.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Frank,

That's a dandy buck. Love that tine length. Well done!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Good buck. Congrats.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt. Big Grin

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck and good shot.

Posts: 172 | Location: DAPHNE, ALABAMA | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Frank-

That's an AWESOME buck -- especially for that area. beer

Considering how dry it had been during the Spring and Summer, that buck has excellent mass.

He'll look great on your wall. And I'm sure that doe will make for some fine table fare, too.

Congrats!

Bobby

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Forgot to say: Very nice rifle!

What MV are you running those 120s at? Sounds like you got excellent terminal performance.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That doe in neato! I would like to get a piebald. Did you get to take the meat home? Did you fly or drive?
I can't believe how small that buck's body is. I think i got a button buck that big. Super rack, better than any I have killed.

Why did you only hunt the morning and evening? On a two day special hunt, I like to make the most of it. Of course, then you miss spending time with your hosts, which is a big part of the experience.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. The meat from the doe I am getting processed there and shipped out to California. The buck's meat I gave to one of the guys who got skunked.

The 120 grainer's are coming out at 2925fps 10' from the muzzle. I've shot this load at <2" groups at 300 yards so I didn't see a need to push them any faster.

This was a corporate hunt so there was a lot of socializing and I didn't want to take advantage of their hospitality since I was hunting for free. The second day I helped process some deer for the guys who were from Texas and were taking the meat with them when they left.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Wow! Very nice buck, it sounds like you had fun too. Can't wait to see your trophy mounted.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
congrats, very nice buck beer

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thats a dandy buck....but are you a big guy or do bucks down there only go about 100 or so pounds. Educate me I'm I bit farther north.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Thats a dandy buck....but are you a big guy or do bucks down there only go about 100 or so pounds. Educate me I'm I bit farther north.

It varies by region and available groceries from dressed weight on some young buck being under 100 to over 200 on some big ones, usually South Texas or Panhandle bucks.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

I'm 6'2" and about 250 and that buck went about 100 Lbs, so both! rotflmo

Did you guys notice the "Accurate Reloading" patch on the shirt?

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Nice deer and yep...I saw the patch...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
very nice- Congats!!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote