New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What's long range?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thats crap, how do you figure? I am not saying deer are not wounded at ranges less than 100 yards but if they are the animal is much easier to recover or even tell if it's hit.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 458 c'mon you should know its a NEED!!! Plus every other name I came up with was already taken Good Huntin'

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I hope you guys realize I'm responding to myself rather than pick one person to attack, I hope this doesn't get too personal.

I TAKE no offense to anyone offering a reasoned well thought out opinion whether based on their experieince or not, so long as it IS well reasoned and thought out. Might take a little umbrage at the person who calls a person "unethiccal" when they have no idea of what skill levels THAT person has based on the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of rounds the person has sent down range from 5' to 1700yds over almost 50 years of shooting. (Some of us started burning .22s at age five) Then it is just a matter of looking at the "reasoning" in the argument as to what the crdibility of the person is.

Quote:

The question I have is not are people capable or is it always wrong. One has to do long shots when there is no other way to do it. But do I ever think it's wrong to do it because you think you're Captain Kirk shooting phazer blasts just because you can.

CANNOT speak for others, but in my case I do NOT shoot long, simply because I can. I shoot long because I have decided on what animal I wish to take and there is no other way to take it without the possibility of losing it. Even when I was in great shape, I don't think I could walk down a caribou in motion just to get closer. If I can't get closer to a deer without spooking it, then the logical shot IS the one you are sure of, not the one you hope to have if all goes right so you can get a few feet closer. I do NOT think anyone sits there and goes, "man I hope I get lucky", it doesn't work that way. IF you put a deer a caribou a whatever, out to 400yds in front of me and I can get my pack down for a rest, there is no difference for that shot then if it was a 100yd shot. Does ThAT help make any sense at all???... because that is basically the world as WE see it.

Quote:

Walking 400 yards and finding drips of blood that are a half inch across and spaced several feet apart is responsible? With no footprint to follow? Boy people are optimists. How about passing up the shot?

Some of you guys are pretty optimistic and I'm afraid some are just fools. I think this should be a topic called "Long Range Sniping" not hunting

I could see the point if one was shooting one of the 6mm/.27s or even .30s with light frangible bullets.
BUT
I can't relate to the last part simply because I have never had anything I ever shot at 300+ ever go more then 20feet, much less get out of sight. Usually in those situations the area is open and the game doesn't have a clue you are there. The hit is solid and clean and VERY quick in resolution of the animals demise. I don't lose game....

The other thing is, my penchant for shooting larger then ever needed bullets and calibers at the game I hunt. As much bad mouth as Sierra GKs get, I have never recovered one from a caribou or deer. I have always had complete penetration and great effect on the game it has hit. Then again, at 75yds with it you want to be really careful where you stick that little pill, because the last deer I shot up close in the neck was almost decapitated. I haven't used it on anything bigger then 'boo and I doubt if I would.

Thats why For hunting that is in the "normal" ranges, I use the .358 or the 45/70.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Walking 400 yards and finding drips of blood that are a half inch across and spaced several feet apart is responsible? With no footprint to follow

So how is that different from walking 50 yards and finding spots of blood but no foot prints?The shot distance has no bearing on whether of not you find footprints.In either case since you stated that you found a blood trail you know where the animals footprints should be.And if there are many footprints overlapping each other as in the case of a herd of animals running into the woods and out of sight on a game trail,it is just as confusing whether the shot was 50 yards or 300 yards.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sure with my 270 I can splatter prairie dogs most of the time oout past 400 yards but they are not elk.

Exactly ,the kill zone on an elk is about 12"x12" whereas the kill zone on a prairie dog is about 2"x2".
There would be a lot less problems if all hunters were more concerned with making sure that they took only shots that they felt comfortable making,instead of worrying about other peoples abilities to make the shots that they choose to take.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote