New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Sierra 120 BTHP gamekings?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gib- My rifle has a 26" Douglas SS barrel on it and, with a heavy charge of H4831, I get 3150 fps average velocity over the chrono. My powder charge is slightly over all the book loads but shows no signs of pressure or problems in my rifle.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to beat a dead horse (deer?). But here is one more data point. Sunday my son shot a buck with a 257AI using 115gr Partitions. 200yd shot, broadside. Broke the shoulder going in, entered the lungs but did not reach the opposite ribs. Dead deer in 50 yds but no blood trail. Very similar performance as the deer I shot a couple of weeks ago with the 120gr Sierra HPBT. The buck was about the same size (dressed 168lbs). I had assumed that we would "always" get an exit wound on broad side shots with a partition. Maybe those 120 HPBT's are not so wimpy after all! Jim

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sierra BTHP are at their best stirring up the minds of AR posters! [Wink]

They work most of the time, but thats not good enough for me so I use Noslers, the cost difference is minimal...to each his own.

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray: you are correct, of course. But some of us need to have our minds stirred...Jim

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote