THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Barnes bullet Reports-Triple Shock

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Barnes bullet Reports-Triple Shock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
and here i though constant updating and inventing new things was a good thing ....

changing the ogative by 002 isnt going to do anything my shift you poi by 1/4" thats it.

i use barns bullets in all of my guns except my double rifle.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Granted my actual experience with the Triple Shocks is on game more heavily constructed than Whitetail Deer. I used them recently in a 375 H&H (270 grain TSX) and 458 Lott (500 grain TSX). I shot a Heartebeast at 125 yards. This animal was shot right behind the shoulder towards the opposite shoulder..It dropped on the spot with the bullet exiting. Also shot a Zebra at 200 yard with the 375, the angle was difficult and I had to shoot him behind the last rib. The bullet struck a bit farer back than I would have like, however, it did penetrate through the lungs and out the neck. Zebra ran about 100 yards and fell got up and ran another 50 yards where it died.

I shot two Cape Buffalo on the shoulders..both dropped to the first shot..one never getting up. The other managed to regain its footing even after both shoulders were broken and much plumbing being destroyed...I shot that Buff again frontal shot through one shoulder passing through the body and breaking the back leg..it came to rest in the ankle. This was the only bullet I recovered a perfectly mushroomed "X" weighing 499 grains. On shoulder shot Buffalo my bullets broke both shoulders and exited doing an extensive amount of damage.

I will be using the TSX for Whitetail Deer. Heading up to Alberta the third week of November. Hopefully, I can give you a report on Deer but probably late for your consideration. Based upon testing in several different caliber and rifles our experience has been that the TSX is the most accurate hunting bullet...at least the calibers/weights we have tested in our rifles. However, we use the TSX in higher velocity calibers..pushing bullets well over 3200 fps. If we were not pushing bullets that fast I would consider another bullet of lighter construction...the Barnes is a tough bullet and may not be needed where the game animal is of light construction or velocity mid range. If not another bullet type then I would be using a light for caliber TSX on game such as Whitetail Deer to gain velocity and hopefully enhance expansion...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
TEH, I'd let him shoot the 222 if it were stand hunting. Shot placement is everything. My wife uses a 6ppc on antelope and lightweight copper bullets, and keeps dropping them with one shot at 200 yards. I'd look at shooting the 40 gr. class bullets. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken 2 whitails, 1 springbok, 1 blesbok, and a kudu at ranges from 80 to 200 yards with the 30 cal 180 gr TSX from a 300WSM. 3 dropped on the spot 2 went less than 30 yards. I don't know if I'll ever recover one. It's the one load I hunt with in that rifle.

Posts: 1492 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've now taken, 2 Blue Wildebeest, 1 Zebra, 1 Impala and 1 Grey Duiker with the 200gr XTS and my 300wsm. This combo works great!!!! One Wildebeest fell in its tracks, the Zebra ran the longest, about 50 yards, and the bullet even opened up on the Duiker.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started loading Triple Shocks last year and have only shot one deer with this bullet so far. This one deer dropped in its tracks. Can't find any fault with them so far.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll stand on what i originally said that X bullets are too good for deer sized animals. I've shot a lot of game with X bullets, including Cape Buffalo. It's my favorite bullet for game larger than deer, but I have not had what I consider good results on deer. The deer have died, but the bullets punch small holes all the way through. I prefer the deer to fall in sight so tracking is not involved.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My son is six years old, and is wanting to hunt deer this year. He keeps his groups under 1.5" at 100 yards with his .222 Rem Mohawk 600. I told him he couldn't hunt deer until he could shoot a .243, but after reading some of the test results of the barnes TSX, I am considering letting him hunt this year with his .222 Rem. I am from Texas, and the deer are small and all the shot are under 100 yards. I was wondering if anyone had any experience, or an opinion on this combination?

I think that the combo .222Rem and Barnes' X is a quite good for small deer. In the very last hour of the previous season, I took a doubl� of roe deer with it. They stood at about 200 or 225 yrds away, and both were hit through both shoulders. They died in their tracks. Both bullets exited without being recovered, albeit having gone through the bone. Swedish roe deer have the same size as a domestic sheep or goat.

The efficiency of the X-bullet is remarkable in the .222 Rem, compared with standard bullets.

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guided a guy this weekend who was shooting a 7MM RUM shooting 160 TSX at ridiculously fast speeds. Shot a medium sized 6 point bull at 240 yards almost broad side about 4 inches up from the brisket behind the shoulder.
The kill was pretty much instant, but the devastation was too much. The entire front shoulder on the entrance side was demolished. A petal or bone fragment had gone into the neck and another had gone through the backstrap toward the back. I have never seen this much devastation on the entrance side. There was an exit wound which I believe was made by the base of the bullet in front of the offside shoulder. Offside shoulder damage was minimal.

Bottom line. Bull was killed with one well placed shot. Way to much meat was ruined.

A Remington CoreLokt from a 308 would have done the killing as good without the excessive meat damage.

Maybe the RUM shoots them too fast?

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Maybe the RUM shoots them too fast?

Too fast vs. fast enough is a matter of opinion, I suppose. But that damage was due to the velocity. I've found much the same with X bullets at extreme velocities--that's when they leave a wound channel that I like. It's the heavier weights at lower velocities and/or long range where I think they don't make a big enough hole. However, I've only tested and used older style X and XBT's--not the TSX's so take that FWIW.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
700 Nitro: I hope you're right. I'll report back tomorrow. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a lot of 270 cal 140 gr TSX on various sized game in Africa with wonderful results.

Seldom ever get one recovered,and the game usually just falls over dead.

Are they too hard for Deer? The Deer and Sspringbok I have taken with them don't think so.

Posts: 3992 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

After reading some of the reports about the Accubonds I am quickly working up a Triple Shock load for deer season

Whatever makes you happy...but working up a different load in haste because you think AccuBonds won't get the job done on deer is a complete waste of time. They will.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote